my first stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownbear21

Reaction score
Over the past 2 weeks I have been planning my first stout. I bought everything I thought I needed to make the stout I wanted. Here's what I got:

White Labs 005 British Ale Yeast
Chocolate wheat 1 LB
Caramel Wheat 1 LB
Briess Traditional Dark DME 1 Lb
Briess Special Dark LME 6.6 LBS
Cocoa Nibs Brewers Grade (4 oz)
1 oz columbus raw hop
1 oz cascade pellet hop
1 LB corn sugar (dextrose)

I kind of winged it taking some notes from none more recipe on here and using brewers friend console.

Boiled for 70 mins

at 60 mins added columbus hop
at 35 min added cascade hop and 10oz of sugar
at 30 mins I steeped the chocolate and caramel together until end of boil

immersion chilled and transferred to glass carboy
topped off to 5gal the added yeast
gave fermenter good rocking and then sat inside around 70 degrees

fermentation started sunday some point while i was gone and its been rocking ever since

first impressions:
tasted the wort and so far its def got the taste i was going for almost like a rolo

will leave in primary about 30-35 days before transferring to secondary

Will finish in secondary with bourbon soaked nibs for prob another month

:mug: hope it turns out how I want!

Over the past 2 weeks I have been planning my first stout. I bought everything I thought I needed to make the stout I wanted. Here's what I got:

White Labs 005 British Ale Yeast
Chocolate wheat 1 LB
Caramel Wheat 1 LB
Briess Traditional Dark DME 1 Lb
Briess Special Dark LME 6.6 LBS
Cocoa Nibs Brewers Grade (4 oz)
1 oz columbus raw hop
1 oz cascade pellet hop
1 LB corn sugar (dextrose)

I kind of winged it taking some notes from none more recipe on here and using brewers friend console.

Boiled for 70 mins

at 60 mins added columbus hop
at 35 min added cascade hop and 10oz of sugar
at 30 mins I steeped the chocolate and caramel together until end of boil

immersion chilled and transferred to glass carboy
topped off to 5gal the added yeast
gave fermenter good rocking and then sat inside around 70 degrees

fermentation started sunday some point while i was gone and its been rocking ever since

first impressions:
tasted the wort and so far its def got the taste i was going for almost like a rolo

will leave in primary about 30-35 days before transferring to secondary

Will finish in secondary with bourbon soaked nibs for prob another month

:mug: hope it turns out how I want!

Sounds like a tasty recipe! The only thing I'll mention is, you can leave it in primary that long if you want to (it won't hurt anything) but if you wanted to speed the process up I'm sure moving it at something like 21 days will be perfectly fine.

Sounds like a tasty recipe! The only thing I'll mention is, you can leave it in primary that long if you want to (it won't hurt anything) but if you wanted to speed the process up I'm sure moving it at something like 21 days will be perfectly fine.
Thanks for the tip. I wasnt really sure honestly. I think i picked that timeframe based on when I would have the free time to do the transfer haha.

So after brewing this the taste came out good but I over carbonated. Going to give it another try this month and do a portion in a local bourbon barrel.

Back