NB spiced winter ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingC

Reaction score
Hi all. I posted this message in a different forum and didn't get a response so I thought I would try it here. I was just wondering if any of you have every brewed the NB spiced winter ale kit? I brewed it last week and just transferred it to secondary yesterday. I took a little sample to see how it tasted and the spices were a bit overwhelming (at least to me). I was wondering if the brew will mellow out a bit after some time in the secondary/bottles. Any input or knowledge will be of great assistance. thanks. :mug:

I bottled a spiced Holiday Ale from Austin Homebrew (Primary for 3 1/2 weeks) last week & when sampled, the spices were mild. I took a reading after 1 1/2 weeks & I could smell the spices. When I bottled, the spice smell was more mild.

I'm guessing it should mellow out some when you transfer to bottles.

Good luck.

I just bottled my batch of NB Spiced Winter Ale last Saturday. I did not use all the spices that the recipe called for. I believe I stuck 1/2 package in before the boil, and 1/4 package in after the boil. Some pieces and parts made it through the racking cane and into the primary. I probably should have added it directly to the primary. Only did 3 weeks in the primary, no secondary.

Even with using only 75% of what the recipe calls for, from what I've tasted so far, it's a bit more than I'd add if I had to do it all over again. Hoping things even out a bit more with a few more weeks in the bottles.

Back