I LOVE waking up to hot strike water. Easy as 1-2-3.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys all already have a ready source of hot water in your homes. I don't get why you'd spend all this money and effort on timers and additional heaters.

I draw my strike water from "hot" faucet of the laundry sink in the basement. This water starts out at around 120° F. I put it on my burner and light it. In the time it takes me to mill my grains, the water gets up to 160-165° F, perfect strike temperature depending on the beer I'm making. A device like the ones described in this thread wouldn't save me any time at all, and would cost me money.

++1 on this method. I have hot & cold water hose bibs in my garage "brewery" w/ bev grade hose & hot and cold charcoal water filters. I star at 120°F and can get to strike temp w/ 8 gal in 20 min or less.
Pump my strike water to my MLT for mashing then refill my HLT Andy sparge water is ready in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I BIAB in a 10.5 gal turkey fryer on a gas range. I've always had trouble with long waits for mash and boil, even with the kettle on two burners. I used the Allied Bucket Heater as a heat assist for mash water temp and mash-to-boil for the first time tonight. Mash to boil used to take well over an hour even when I partially covered (and obsessively wiped condensation) with lid. With the bucket heater I hit boil in 35 min from mash and I finally got a nice violent boil. I hope it will serve me until I construct an electric brew system. It's is nice having a shorter brew schedule.
Propane is not really appealing for me in Michigan winters.

Back