Do I need to add yeast to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I have a Brett-B beer I will be bottling in 2 weeks. It is a Brett-B only beer. I transferred to secondary after 3 weeks and it has been in there (untouched) for 9 months. Do I need to make up a starter of the same yeast to use at bottling. Is this a good or bad idea. Is it necessary.

I would have bottled much earlier, but it had a high gravity coming out of primary (1.060 to 1.020), and then developed a thin pellicle in secondary, so I just let it ride. I have no clue what it is like. Will take my first sample about a day before bottling.

You don't need to but a lot of people add some fresh yeast at bottling to ensure their beer gets carbonated and quickly. You can pitch some rehydrated safale or wine yeast, or what ever kind of yeast you want really.

Consider -- guess -- at your lost CO2 over time and adjust priming sugar accordingly. You could bottle without additional yeast but I would because you will get better fermentation out of it.

I've been very dubious about this one. Finally took a sample last week. Now down to 1.012 from 1.060 (80%), and tastes absolutely fantastic.

I think I'm not going to add any new yeast. Mostly concerned about kicking off a secondary Brett fermentation in the bottle, even if using the same strain of Brett.

Will bottle next weekend.

You don't need to but a lot of people add some fresh yeast at bottling to ensure their beer gets carbonated and quickly. You can pitch some rehydrated safale or wine yeast, or what ever kind of yeast you want really.

I'd be concerned about using a Sacc yeast on an all-brett beer. I don't know if it would start the Brett off as a secondary yeast, and start munching on the unfermentable sugars, and producing it's traditional rustic characteristics.

Back