Plastic or Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First 3 brews in glass, plastic from then on.

Glass is too heavy, too cumbersome, too dangerous for my liking.

Now that I make 10g batches I don't think glass is a real option, although I'm sure I could find large glass vessels if I wanted to.

I'm very happy with my 60L (15.9g) Spiedel tanks. Pure joy to use.

Gameface said:
First 3 brews in glass, plastic from then on.

Glass is too heavy, too cumbersome, too dangerous for my liking.

Now that I make 10g batches I don't think glass is a real option, although I'm sure I could find large glass vessels if I wanted to.

I'm very happy with my 60L (15.9g) Spiedel tanks. Pure joy to use.

Ah, I've been eyeing one of those... but are they too heavy to lift out of a chest freezer alone? I'm not too weak, but I also wanna save my back.

Ah, I've been eyeing one of those... but are they too heavy to lift out of a chest freezer alone? I'm not too weak, but I also wanna save my back.

Well, it's heavy but the bigger problem is that it's such a snug fit the chest freezer wants to come up with the tank. I have to have my wife hold the chest freezer down while I lift it out.

I drain from my BK into the tank with it already in the freezer. Now I just need a way to transfer out of the tank without lifting it and I'll be set.

I have a 60l speidel too (and a 30l) have you guy ever seen the Mr Malt (italian) fermentors the is one 50l that looks great. ef1002_1.jpg

Obliviousbrew said:
I have a 60l speidel too (and a 30l) have you guy ever seen the Mr Malt (italian) fermentors the is one 50l that looks great.

Never seen it, but it looks great!

Gameface said:
Well, it's heavy but the bigger problem is that it's such a snug fit the chest freezer wants to come up with the tank. I have to have my wife hold the chest freezer down while I lift it out.

I drain from my BK into the tank with it already in the freezer. Now I just need a way to transfer out of the tank without lifting it and I'll be set.

I've got a bigger (15 cu ft) freezer, so it should fit that fine, no? My only concern is getting the darn thing out on my own...

I've got a bigger (15 cu ft) freezer, so it should fit that fine, no? My only concern is getting the darn thing out on my own...

I'm not sure if the 15ft chest freezers are wider than the small ones but I don't think you'll have a problem. This thing fits a 5cuft chest freezer like a glove. I like that there isn't very much deadspace in the freezer.

dsc0231eg.jpg

The handles are pretty nice. You can lift when full by the handles. I do 11g into the fermenter and I'm not he-man but I manage to lift it out. It's not graceful or anything, but I get the job done.

Back