We drink a 37-year-old bottle of Tech Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic, glad you video taped it too !

Tasting history in a glass is a remarkable event and often overlooked by many who think beer doesn't age well.

Nice! Glad to see you are still alive. I've often thought about drinking a 40 year old beer my parents have saved from Germany but I don't even think it was a particularly good beer in it's prime. I can't remember exactly what it is but the next time I talk to them I'll ask if they can take a picture of it.

Cool video man, I always love to hear about these old beers. I think a lot of the reason it was kept in such a nice condition, was that it was refrigerated for so long. Cheers to you guys and your grandma! :mug:

LOL,

after watching your reaction to the 37 year old bottle of lager it reminded me of an event about 5 years ago when I was back in Blighty for my granddad's funeral.
The day after the funeral most of the family were at my mum's sister's place and her husband, also an avid homebrewer, pulled out a bottle of Burgundy. 1966 vintage. This was going to be an experience, sampling a bottle of wine that was the same age as myself, or so I thought. Truth be told, it tasted fowl. Moldy, acidic, cardboard, with an aroma that suggested a subtle hint of cat's piss:D

Still,,,,,,,,was an "interesting" experience as you don't get the chance to try something like that too many times in your lifetime. :drunk::mug:

mrbowenz said:
I of course don't want to "out do" ...but I did some notes (no video) on a 137 year old beer a couple of months ago here if your interested, I also own the oldest documented beer in the world - just to be a wanker too:eek:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/tasting-notes-137-year-old-beer-294690/

http://ebay-stories.com/a-160-year-old-bottle-of-beer

I remember watching an episode of Oz and James Drink to Britain where they drink a beer from the Royal stock that was brewed in the 1850s. James' reaction was hilarious. He almost gets sick. And I think they describe the taste as being a mix of cardboard and the gunk from the lid of canned tomato paste... Yum.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, everybody. It was an experience I'll not soon forget, that's for sure. And I'm glad to know at least one other ATHF fan hangs out on HBT. LOL.

:rockin:

Very nice job on the video. Well done with good,real world informational descriptions. Y'all should do a web show. Getting to that bottle of burgundy,if it wasn't stored at an angle to let the wine keep the cork wetted,it would dry out & oxidize. Even a horizontal wine rack would be better than if it was stored upright.
Again,thanks for sharing the tasting we were all curious about.

Very nice job on the video. Well done with good,real world informational descriptions. Y'all should do a web show.

Thank you kindly. We've toyed with the idea of doing a web show, and may do so if we can find a way to create something that hasn't already been done before. Will keep everyone posted.

Thank you kindly. We've toyed with the idea of doing a web show, and may do so if we can find a way to create something that hasn't already been done before. Will keep everyone posted.

"Will they Drink it?" Viewers can send in any nasty old beers they find for you to sample. I would watch that show.

Back