Splitting up a yeast starter and storing...how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfisherwes

Reaction score
So I made up a yeast starter with some wlp001. I then poured off the liquid "beer" into another sanitized container and cold crashed. I used the yeast cake in the bottom of the original starter to make a new starter which I pitched this weekend.

So, what I have is the yeast that cold crashed out of the original starter liquid. I decanted the liquid off of them (it tasted fine) and added another starter on it. When it ferments out I plan to shake it up (Maybe I should cold crash and decant some then shake up) and split it into 4 or 5 sanitized jars to keep in the fridge to make more starters from soon.

Is this ok?
How long can I keep them in the fridge safely?
Can I repeat the process when I get down to 1 jar?
How can I know how much yeast is in the jars or what size starter or how many times to step a starter up when I use them?

Thanks
Wes

I have had some of mine in the fridge for over a year and they work fine. With that being said I would prob not keep them any longer than that. As it is you will have to make a pretty large starter with a yeast that old because of the low viability.

Repeating all depends on what type of beer you are making. If it is a stronger beer, you probably wont want to keep the yeast at all because it will be too stressed. If it is a lower gravity beer you could probable repeat 3 or 4 times

I would just compare the amount you have to the amount in a White Labs vile. I believe they say one vile has approx 100 billion cells

I buy a vial or a smack pack and then I grow a starter, cold crash, decant starter wort, wash the yeast with 2 pint jars of water. I then save one jar and repeat the process with the other jar. I'll do this 3 times in a week. By doing this I end up with 3 one pint jars with approx. 100 billion cells each to save for future brews, and I also end up with a big fat starter to pitch in whatever I'm brewing. I feel that propagating yeast from new smack packs/vials before it's used to ferment a batch of beer gives me more viable yeast to save then washing it after the fact (that's just my theory)....

I buy a vial or a smack pack and then I grow a starter, cold crash, decant starter wort, wash the yeast with 2 pint jars of water. I then save one jar and repeat the process with the other jar. I'll do this 3 times in a week. By doing this I end up with 3 one pint jars with approx. 100 billion cells each to save for future brews, and I also end up with a big fat starter to pitch in whatever I'm brewing. I feel that propagating yeast from new smack packs/vials before it's used to ferment a batch of beer gives me more viable yeast to save then washing it after the fact (that's just my theory)....

Yeah that appears that it works, however there's a possibility of petite mutation (you can google it). Essentially, you stun the growth of yeast that's under development. You'd be better off doing a full fermentation cycle of the original yeast and cold-crash it AFTER the fermentation is finished, or better yet, let it natural settle. That's what I do myself.

MC

Yeah that appears that it works, however there's a possibility of petite mutation (you can google it). Essentially, you stun the growth of yeast that's under development. You'd be better off doing a full fermentation cycle of the original yeast and cold-crash it AFTER the fermentation is finished, or better yet, let it natural settle. That's what I do myself.

MC

I also wash yeast from batch fermentation,and I get great results from both methods. The only real difference for me in doing it pre-fermentation in a starter is I get good clean yeast with less trub when I wash it as opposed to washing it after fermenting.. I'm sure petite mutation is a concern, but what I'm doing is really no different than making a stepped-up 1 gallon starter and splittting it up into X amount of jars.

I also wash yeast from batch fermentation,and I get great results from both methods. The only real difference for me in doing it pre-fermentation in a starter is I get good clean yeast with less trub when I wash it as opposed to washing it after fermenting.. I'm sure petite mutation is a concern, but what I'm doing is really no different than making a stepped-up 1 gallon starter and splittting it up into X amount of jars.

I also do pre-batch splitting instead of yeast washing. Reason is, if I screwed up somewhere and picked up a bug, my washed yeast will have that bug.

I also don't have to worry too much about any infection in a beer, whereas I have to keep everything tight when doing pre-batch yeast propagation.

MC

I also do pre-batch splitting instead of yeast washing. Reason is, if I screwed up somewhere and picked up a bug, my washed yeast will have that bug.

I also don't have to worry too much about any infection in a beer, whereas I have to keep everything tight when doing pre-batch yeast propagation.

MC

MC, I knew I remembered you. We were talking here,

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/questions-yeast-savers-275267/index2.html

about this very question.

I'm planning to do pretty much what you do, but I don't have a stir plate. I also figured I'd use 4oz jelly jars or prescription medication vials for the yeast storage.

You say you leave it in your fridge like that for up to a year without problems?
What do you mean by "degassed"? Just letting it relieve all the pressure after fermenting?

When I start a new vial or pack I make a starter a little larger than needed. I then make four 20ml vials that I freeze. I then use step starter technique to get the proper pitch rate. www.yeastcalc.com

Look up the thread on yeast freezing.

If I made up 4 new vials for each of those and did 4 generations I could brew 1024 batches using the one vial/pack

Wow! That's a lot of beer:drunk:

That's what I have been doing for the last few batches. I have tried using both 4 OZ mason jars and much smaller preform tubes (the same container that white labs ships their yeast in) both work fine so long as I do a starter first. When I get down to my last sample (or buy a tube to library a new strain) i do a starter, cold crash, decant, pull off my storage samples into sanitized containers, top off with starter beer to eliminate as much oxygen as possible, then refeed the remaining slurrey and do a starter as usual.

I'm planning to do pretty much what you do, but I don't have a stir plate. I also figured I'd use 4oz jelly jars or prescription medication vials for the yeast storage.

As long as they are sanitized thoroughly, and that they are airtight, you're good to go. I'm not too big on mason jars as they are made to hold a vacuum, not pressure. If you're referring to Smuckers jars, I believe you should be OK.

You say you leave it in your fridge like that for up to a year without problems?
What do you mean by "degassed"? Just letting it relieve all the pressure after fermenting?

That's correct. I degas by gently swirling the solution until no more CO2 is released in the airlock. And yes, I do put that slurry-like yeast in 3oz vials. I just restarted my Wyeast 1028 that was put in vials on 4/10/11. Still happy as can be.

I did a write-up about it, here.

MC

Back