Belgian Ardennes - Correct Temp. Range?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthelm85

Reaction score
Wyeast's website says that the range for this yeast is 65 - 76 degrees Fahrenheit but Northern Brewer's website says the range is 65 - 85 and I've also seen posts here on HBT that say that the range is 65 - 85.

Has anyone fermented with this yeast above 76? I'm doing my first Saison and from all the research I've done it needs to be in the high 70s so I'm maxing it out at 76 right now but I'm not sure if I should bump it up to the low 80s.

Any help from some of you who have experience with this yeast would greatly be appreciated!

Didn't use it on a Saison - brewed a Belgian with it. I recall keeping it no higher than the mid 70's. I would follow Wyeast's recommendations temp wise.

Has anyone fermented with this yeast above 76?
-
Any help from some of you who have experience with this yeast would greatly be appreciated!

WLP550
Attenuation: 78-85%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-78°F
(20-26°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

Wyeast 3522
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 72-76%
Temperature Range: 65-76° F (18-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 12% ABV

The top of the scale is 77F, that info came directly from the brewer @ Achouffe.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wyeast-3522-belgian-ardennes-info-228923/

I just used this in a Belgian Pale and pitched a 2L starter at 68F. Over the course of 10 days, I slowly ramped to 76F and it finished at 76% attenuation. I was a bit disappointed, because I read a couple of previous posts claiming 85+% attenuation and mine finished higher than expected. However, it is very nicely balanced with mild fruity esters, slight coriander spice notes, not sweet at all.

I am a big fan of 3711 and have fermented several batches in the 80's with it. This one attenuates down to 1.003-1.006 yet stays well balanced and not bone dry like you'd expect.

I have not used it for saisons, I normally start at 64F and let if free rise. It usually plateaus around 72F. 3522 will dry out, I have had 1.040 beers finish at 1.006 without sugar

Back