Bourbon porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
Going to the homebrew shop next weekend. I'm planning on picking up ingredients to make a porter, which I'd like to age over bourbon-soaked oak chips. What is the best way to go about doing this? I assume soaking the chips, and then putting them in secondary? What's the timeframe like for a beer like this? Any help/feedback would be very much appreciated

I made an AG bourbon porter. I boiled the oak chips for a few minutes then soaked then in bourbon for 2 weeks (while the wort was in the primary). I then added them into wort in secondary for 2 weeks. I was told that you could leave them in longer, but that would give a stronger bourbon flavor. I bottled a couple months ago and let it age for 4 weeks before I started tasting. Now, 3 months later, the bourbon taste is really smoothing out and blending well with the beer. I used French oak chips. Hope this helps.

I made an AG bourbon porter. I boiled the oak chips for a few minutes then soaked then in bourbon for 2 weeks (while the wort was in the primary). I then added them into wort in secondary for 2 weeks. I was told that you could leave them in longer, but that would give a stronger bourbon flavor. I bottled a couple months ago and let it age for 4 weeks before I started tasting. Now, 3 months later, the bourbon taste is really smoothing out and blending well with the beer. I used French oak chips. Hope this helps.

Do you know what weight in chips you added? I am doing an Irish Whiskey Porter and was considering using chips. I am a little hesitant to do too much, since after a week it already has a pretty decent toasted/coffee flavor.

Back