Cold crashing/cold aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
I just started cold crashing to see what it's all about. I had a 1.059 gravity beer and gave it 3 weeks in the primary, then cold crashed for 3 days and racked to keg and carbonated it. It's at week 4 now, and the sample tastes a little green as I suspected it would. Will this thing be ready at the 6 week mark if I'm aging it cold? My previous process would be 4 weeks primary, 1 week aging in keg, and 1 week to get it cold/carbonate and it seemed to work perfectly.

Cold crashing is about clearing the beer before moving it. You don’t have to keep it cold after transferring. If it’s a beer that needs additional conditioning, I’ll cold crash for a few days, transfer it to a keg, charge with 30-40 lbs of CO2 and then basement it until it’s ready (or I am.) After that, a week in the fridge at serving pressure, and it ready to drink.

Yeah, I'm thinking I should pull them out of the keezer and let them sit in the basement for a few weeks.

By the way, I did a split 10 gallon batch, one with nottingham and the other with safale S-05. The S-05 batch almost tasted ready compared to the notty, which still needs a few weeks. I'm thinking about not even bothering with notty anymore.

Cold crashing is about clearing the beer before moving it. You don’t have to keep it cold after transferring. If it’s a beer that needs additional conditioning, I’ll cold crash for a few days, transfer it to a keg, charge with 30-40 lbs of CO2 and then basement it until it’s ready (or I am.) After that, a week in the fridge at serving pressure, and it ready to drink.

You must go through alot of CO2... :D

Latest posts

Back