New AG Recipe-Critique Please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
So I was messing around with some recipes last night and came up with this...

2.5lbs MO
2.5lbs Munich
2.5lbs Vienna
2.5lbs Wheat

.5oz Simcoe @ 60
.5oz Sorachi Ace @ 20
.5oz Simcoe @ 2
.5oz Soraci Ace @FO

Target OG would be 1.055 @75% eff, 48.5 IBU's. I'm thinking I would do this as a Steam Type beer and use an American Lager yeast. There's no real rhyme or reason to the recipe, other than I thought it might interesting to use even amounts of these base type malts and see what it gives me. The only thing I'm really not sure about is the Wheat. Anyhoo, please critique, Thanks.:mug:

What yeast and fermentation temperature are you planning to use?

And what kind of wheat? (torrified, red, white, flaked, unmalted, etc)

For yeast, I might use WLP810 or 840 at 60*. I've only used wheat once so I'm not really sure what to use. I Honestly didn't realize there were so many different types. I was just thinking whatever type of wheat is the standard for say a Hefe.

What would you suggest?

I'd go for white wheat if you're wanting to add a hefe touch. Just be careful when lautering because they can make it get stuck.

Adding rice hulls (to prevent sticking) is something I've never done before, so I defer to a more experienced AG brewer.

If you use White Wheat Malt you may not need rice hulls, depending on your crush, lauter setup and past experience with your equipment. I use hulls in all my beer so I'm not a good one to ask.

I like the grainbill but I've not brewed with either hop variety. Otherwise, you should have a nice pale to amber beer with phenomenal head retention from the wheat.

:mug:

If you use White Wheat Malt you may not need rice hulls, depending on your crush, lauter setup and past experience with your equipment. I use hulls in all my beer so I'm not a good one to ask.

I like the grainbill but I've not brewed with either hop variety. Otherwise, you should have a nice pale to amber beer with phenomenal head retention from the wheat.

:mug:

I may add some rice hulls in there just to be safe. Not sure what my LHBS offers for wheat, but we'll see. As far as Hops go, I'm really liking Simcoe. It has a very tasty Piney,Citrus flavor that it brings. I haven't used Sorachi Ace yet but I think the Lemony quality that everyone talks about would compliment the Simcoe Nicely.

Looks good...nice and malty. The Simcoe will balance nicely and the Sorachi Ace will give it a lemony flavor (not something I usually like, but could work well.)

The WLP810 will give it a bit of funky "steam beer" quality. As another option, the Wyeast 2112 is similiar, but not as funky...more subdued and clean. I like both, just depends what I'm doing.

If there was a bit more wheat in it, I'd say this beer closely resembles (style-wise) Anchor Summer Beer, which is an American Wheat. I made a very similiar beer recently, although it wasn't near as malty.

In order to properly critique your recipe I will need you to send me several bottles once finished. I will be happy to receive them though.

So I think this will be my next brew now that I have a pound of Sorachi Ace. I decided to up the target OG to 1.065 which will make the grain bill 3 pounds each of MO,Munich,Vienna, & Rye. I'm thinking I will use Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast, because I have a stout fermenting on it now, so I will just use a portion of the cake.

Any thoughts on using 1084 in this brew? And would 1lb of Rice hulls be enough with 3lbs of Rye?

Thanks,:mug:

1lb would be more than enough. I usually just toss a few handfuls in. Maybe 4oz.

A pound of rice hulls is quite a bit. Something like the same size bag as 5lb of grain. I can almost fit 5lbs of rice hulls in a 6G bucket with lid.

1lb would be more than enough. I usually just toss a few handfuls in. Maybe 4oz.

A pound of rice hulls is quite a bit. Something like the same size bag as 5lb of grain. I can almost fit 5lbs of rice hulls in a 6G bucket with lid.

Oh wow, didn't realize they took up that much space. Thanks.

Good heavens, rice hulls?

Yes, this mash will be slightly sticky, arguably slightly more sticky than a normal mash. The simple fact remains: If you've got a good mix and a good crush, there is no reason 25% unhulled grain in the grist will have a prayer of sticking the mash or even slowing the lauter.

I mean, seriously. I understand being cautious, but that's just wasteful. Hell, you don't need rice hulls in a 50/50% Hefeweizen grist!

Besides, every brewer needs to stick a mash at least once. It teaches a valuable skill (underletting) and builds character (by refraining from kicking the mash tun across the brewery). ;)

Bob

Good heavens, rice hulls?

Yes, this mash will be slightly sticky, arguably slightly more sticky than a normal mash. The simple fact remains: If you've got a good mix and a good crush, there is no reason 25% unhulled grain in the grist will have a prayer of sticking the mash or even slowing the lauter.

I mean, seriously. I understand being cautious, but that's just wasteful. Hell, you don't need rice hulls in a 50/50% Hefeweizen grist!

Besides, every brewer needs to stick a mash at least once. It teaches a valuable skill (underletting) and builds character (by refraining from kicking the mash tun across the brewery). ;)

Bob

I've had the good fortune of having a stuck sparge. I'm sure it will happen again someday.

Not having brewed with Rye before or having used rice hulls. I'm on a bit of learning curve here. Just so I'm straight, you're of the opinion that Rice Hulls are never needed in the Mash?

Just so I'm straight, you're of the opinion that Rice Hulls are never needed in the Mash?

No. That's not what I said.

I said they're not necessary if you have hulled grain in excess of 50%, a good crush and a good mix in the tun. If the crush is under- or overdone, the mash will have efficiency problems, whether it's extract totals or physical efficiency in lautering.

Most homebrewers haven't mastered the skill of the crush. That's unsurprising, because most LHBSs don't have two- or three-stage roller mills. So they rely on the addition of rice hulls to replace the husk material they've destroyed in the crush.

I have and continue to use rice hulls all the time, specifically in my Witbier mash. Of course, that grist has something on the order of 33% hulled grain. But I am forced to point out that many small, traditional Belgian Witbier breweries don't use rice hulls, and have grists very similar indeed to mine. Brewing Wit daily or twice a week would probably teach me a thing or two about dealing with sticky mashes. ;)

Bob

No. That's not what I said.

I said they're not necessary if you have hulled grain in excess of 50%, a good crush and a good mix in the tun. If the crush is under- or overdone, the mash will have efficiency problems, whether it's extract totals or physical efficiency in lautering.

Most homebrewers haven't mastered the skill of the crush. That's unsurprising, because most LHBSs don't have two- or three-stage roller mills. So they rely on the addition of rice hulls to replace the husk material they've destroyed in the crush.

I have and continue to use rice hulls all the time, specifically in my Witbier mash. Of course, that grist has something on the order of 33% hulled grain. But I am forced to point out that many small, traditional Belgian Witbier breweries don't use rice hulls, and have grists very similar indeed to mine. Brewing Wit daily or twice a week would probably teach me a thing or two about dealing with sticky mashes. ;)

Bob

Gotcha, Thanks:mug:

Back