How much difference would this make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnscooter

Reaction score
I posted a thread a while ago regarding my second attemp ever at doing an extract batch (my first was a very successful American Amber). It is a "Brewer's Best Kolsch" kit. I thought that I would change up the included Nottingham yeast with a WLP029 Kolsch yeast. I still think that I might, but I was just wondering as a noob doing my 2nd batch ever, how much difference I would really be able to notice and if it's really worth the effort. I'm sure most of you seasoned veterans would notice a difference but do you think I will? I guess what I'm asking is, would this be a drastic change or a subtle change?

If you had brewed this particular recipe several times before and were changing a single factor like yeast strain, it would be an interesting experiment. As it is, you're asking how much difference it will make when you have nothing to compare the difference against. I would not bother stepping up to the expense of liquid on batch number two, and some don't bother with liquid yeast ever. There is no problem with the dry yeast, just not as many varietals.

I was just thinking, as I was pitching some Notty into a Simcoe IPA I just brewed...I wish someone had discouraged me from wasting time and money on liquid yeasts when I was still a noob. Although I've brewed 100 or so gallons since the New Year, I guess I still consider myself a noob. That being said, IMHO, unless you are brewing a particular style of beer that calls for a particular yeast ie. Hefe's, Belgians, Lagers etc, etc, save yourself some aggrivation and some money and just go with dry yeast. S-05, S-04, and Nottingham are all superb dry yeasts. No starters, no smack packs, no mess. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but again, it's just my opinion. All I brew now are Pale's and IPAs. That's what I like to drink. I keep no less than 6 packets of Notty or S-05 in the fridge at all times. Just my 2 cents.

Nottingham seems to work with ALOT of styles....

As to experimenting, I have 1 recipe I have tried several ways, Each time I take the original recipe and change 1 thing, then make notes in my logbook when it is drinking time.

They are right about there being nothing wrong with dry yeast and I wish I hadn't listened to the first person that told me that liquid yeast was superior. I use dry yeast every time I can to make the beer that I want. That said, there are reasons for using liquid yeast. There are only certain strains available in dry form. I don't think there are any dry Belgian yeasts for example. I think a good wheat beer yeast has only recently showed up. You would likely make a great Kolsch with one of the top dry yeasts. The Kolsch yeast that the liquid yeast manufacturers sell is just a specific strain that is used by a few of the top breweries of that style so it would get you closer to matching their recipe if you were trying to clone. There's no doubt that you can get a significantly different beer using all of the same ingredients and just changing the yeast. If this is just your second batch I'd definitely stick with the dry yeast that the kit came with though. The dry yeasts are just so reliable and for a new brewer its best to eliminate as many variables as possible. You have no idea how long the Kolsch yeast has been sitting at your LHBS for instance. I know I've gotten bad/old liquid yeasts before. Stick to the dry yeast on this batch and experiment with various yeasts after you have your process down and want to fine tune a specific recipe.

Safale's US-05 dry yeast has been my favorite yeast for quite some time now for just about any ale I brew.

I haven't tried it yet, but I do believe it would even make a killer Kolsch.

I've done that Kolsch kit and it turns out fine with the Dry yeast. With that said the one I plan on brewing in the beginning of June, I've opted to go with the Liquid. Just to change things up. Until recently I only used dry with great results, but when i created my bloody hefe recipie went with liquid american wheat strain. I'm so happy with the results I'm going to experiment more with the liquid yeasts. But the dry does a fine job go with your gut, either way you'll learn and have fun :)

You will see a difference. Fermenting WLP029 at 60-62*F, then lagering for a few weeks will produce a much cleaner beer than using Nottingham. Honestly, I don't think you can consider it a Kolsch if you don't use Kolsch or Alt yeast.

First off I'll stand out and say liquid yeasts are superior to dry. However!, that doesn't mean dry yeast sucks. If you want to use liquid yeast, go ahead. Will you know the difference? Maybe, probably not. As long as you have something drinkable, its all good. The best part about brewing at home is doing what you want, not what someone else does.

I used to rehydrate, now no. I aerate a bunch and use yeast nutrient, though. No problems so far in the last 8 brews.

You will see a difference. Fermenting WLP029 at 60-62*F, then lagering for a few weeks will produce a much cleaner beer than using Nottingham. Honestly, I don't think you can consider it a Kolsch if you don't use Kolsch or Alt yeast.

I think a big starter would be in order if attempting to use the WLP029 at those temps. White Labs lists 65 deg. as the low end of the recommended range and they specifically warn about trying to use it at 62 or below. My experience with this yeast has shown that it really seems to hit the wall at 62.
YMMV

If you do want to ferment that low, you would definitely want to pitch at a higher temp and wait until you have an active fermentation before lowering your temp.

I think a big starter would be in order if attempting to use the WLP029 at those temps. White Labs lists 65 deg. as the low end of the recommended range and they specifically warn about trying to use it at 62 or below. My experience with this yeast has shown that it really seems to hit the wall at 62.
YMMV

If you do want to ferment that low, you would definitely want to pitch at a higher temp and wait until you have an active fermentation before lowering your temp.

Good to know. I've only used the other White Labs Kolsch yeast. Its always best to ferment in the recommended range for the yeast.

YMMV

I did a 2 qt starter with that Kolsch yeast for an oktoberfest ale and kept it fermenting right at 65º. (I pitched the yeast at room temp and moved the fermenter to a 65º water bath.) It took off like a rocket within 12 hours. Glad I used a blow off tube.

Latest posts

Back