Wyeast BRETT Fusion Blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pack of Wyeast 3763-PC Roeselare Ale Blend on the way and have a couple of questions on its use. Is it a bad idea to make a starter? My thought is that the growth rate of the mixed cultures may compromise the intended fermantation. The other question is related. Rather than make a starter I sometimes will brew a smaller expermental batch and use that yeast cake for the planned beer. Would transfering the expermental batch to a secondary after a week or so and reusing the yeast be a problem with these blended cultures?

This question was tacked onto Flyangler's Flanders cross post, but may have gotten lost in off topic land. Here's another try. I'm also waiting for an inquiry sent to Wyeast. If there's any interest, I'll post their response.

I think lambic blends are the one time that making a starter is a bad idea. I say smack it and dump it right in.

There's a lot going on in that packet, and I would think your best bet is to jut pitch from the pack. If you're planning on fermenting with sacch first, you can, but there's some in there that will take off quicker than the bugs.

There's a lot going on in that packet, and I would think your best bet is to jut pitch from the pack. If you're planning on fermenting with sacch first, you can, but there's some in there that will take off quicker than the bugs.
Yup. Same answer from Wyeast.

Herman,

It is not recommended to make a starter with this blend. You will
definitely throw off the balance of cultures in the blend. Basically,
you will increase the Saccharomyces population w/o increasing any of the
other cultures.

The second technique you listed would be better than a starter, but once
again, you will not be propagating all of the cultures. This time, you
would be increasing the Saccharomyces culture and maybe some of the
lactic acid bacteria.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Jess Caudill

Now I'm wishing I'd bought two packs. Probably best to scale back the recipe to where the count is good.

Probably best to scale back the recipe to where the count is good.

No need. Direct pitch into 5 gallons. Remember, the other organisms in the culture are super-attenuators; they'll chew everything that the Saccharomyces leaves behind.

Thanks for updating with the response. That is what I was thinking but I am brewing a lambic next weekend and it's good to know the professional opinion.

No need. Direct pitch into 5 gallons. Remember, the other organisms in the culture are super-attenuators; they'll chew everything that the Saccharomyces leaves behind.
Thanks for that information. The reason I thought scaling was necessary was reading that you had two packs.
You must have other plans for the second one. :mug:

You must have other plans for the second one. :mug:

Yeah, just not sure what yet. :D Might do a Flanders Pale (recipe in 'Wild Brews') alongside the current batch, or maybe get another batch of Dulle Griet going with a slight adjustment in process.

I'm interested in doing one of these, but I am concerned about clean up. Am I going to have to bleach-bomb everything to get rid of the Brett for future batches?

Aunt_Ester said:
I'm interested in doing one of these, but I am concerned about clean up. Am I going to have to bleach-bomb everything to get rid of the Brett for future batches?

Search function

I could have sworn this was home brew TALK not home brew search....

To answer your question, it's a good idea to use plastics e.g. stoppers, air locks, and tubing dedicated to sour. Anything glass or stainless should be fine with the usual clean/sanitation duties.

I was the OP on this two year old thread. I've done a couple of the Brett blends from Wyeast and not had any problem with it finding its way into later beers. I used a dedicated transfer line and raking cane, but other than that didn't change my sanitation process other than to be extra careful to do a complete job.

:off:
And I argee with the Huge_Jass. Guess42, you're out of line.

I was the OP on this two year old thread. I've done a couple of the Brett blends from Wyeast and not had any problem with it finding its way into later beers. I used a dedicated transfer line and raking cane, but other than that didn't change my sanitation process other than to be extra careful to do a complete job.

This was helpful, thanks. I buy new tubing frequently out of paranoia anyway. A dedicated racking cane is a good idea!

Latest posts

Back