Malic acid in apple juice, ok for Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr454

Reaction score
The local cheap food store has apple juice that contains malic acid and vitamin c. I know the vitamin c is ok per Edwort's recipe, but what effect will malic acid have on Apfelwein?

Eric

it's an organic compound that is used in conjunction/in place of citric acid for tartness/sourness. Should be okay but straight up 100% AJ would be better...

Ok, thanks. I'll see what they have at walmart. I believe their AJ only has vitamin c and maltodextrin, which is ok if I remember correctly.

Eric

treetop is what I use as well and it turns out very nice. I just get it at the grocery store, in 1 gallon jugs for like 5ish bucks each. I'm sure it can be done cheaper, but I figure 25 bucks for juice isn't terrible and it's right by my house, so no chasing around town for me.

Malic acid is naturally present in all apples, as long as there are no preservatives like potassium sorbate the juice should work just fine. Regards, GF.

I went to BJ's in my area and found Mott's, I think something like $19 for 6 gallons (only used 5). I can't find Tree Top around here for some reason. Local grocery stores don't carry it and the only 100% AJ I find in grocery stores is quite expensive.

From BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines:

Introduction to Cider Guidelines (Categories 27 - 28)
The apple and pear varieties are intended to illustrate commonly used examples, not dictate requirements when making the style. In general, adjuncts are prohibited except where specifically allowed in particular styles, and then the entrant must state them. Common processing aids, and enzymes, are generally allowed as long as they are not detectable in the finished cider. Yeast used for cider/perry may be either "natural" (the yeast which occurs on the fruit itself and/or is retained in the milling and pressing equipment) or cultured yeast. Malo-lactic fermentation is allowed, either naturally occurring or with an added ML culture. Enzymes may be used for clarification of the juice prior to fermentation. Malic acid may be added to a low-acid juice to bring acidity up to a level considered safe for avoiding bacterial contamination and off-flavors (typically pH 3.8 or below). Entrant MUST state if malic acid was added. Sulfites may be added as needed for microbiological control. If used, the maximum accepted safe level for sulfites (200 mg/l) should be strictly observed; moreover, any excess sulfite that is detectable in the finished cider (a "burning match" character) is a serious fault.

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Cider Introduction

I got my hands on some cheap apple cider. It lists ascorbic acid (Vit. C) and malic acid in the ingredients. I know people said earlier in this thread to just find different cider, but does the presence of malic acid in the juice impact the creation of Edwort's Apfelwine?

I mean, 2 bucks a gallon is a steal for this stuff!

Malic acid is a natural part of apples, it's added after the juice is processed to bring back some of the tart flavor and provide some preservative effect by acidifying the juice.

It's perfectly fine and won't harm your apfelwine.

Right....

Malic acid is specifically what gives Apples and some other fruit wines the characteristic "Green apple" flavor.... No malic acid... No characteristic apple flavor....

My guess is that they are adding Malic acid to make an otherwise amazingly bland, sweet juice taste like "Apple Juice!"

Say you pressed a whole barrel full of exceedingly ripe Golden Delicious or Ginger Gold apples.... Sure, it would be really sweet... but really bland..... It tastes "Fruity".... but not really "Appley"

Since Apfelwein is at heart an Apple beverage.... it should have flavors and essences that make you say "Apple" rather than "Generic fruity wine stuff"..... at least in my mind....

Does that make sense?

So.. Does said juice have a distinct "Appleyness" ... or is it more nondescript fruity with a bit of apple along for the ride?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back