Tomatoes and Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefJoeR

Reaction score
Since it's getting close to tomato season here in the south, I am looking forward to tomato/beer drinks. Now given all the recipes out there, what is your favorite combo? What kind of beer do you prefer to mix with tomatoes? I am leaning toward light pale ales with some effervesence. Your thoughts?

My brother in law drinks what he calls 'red beer'. Literally, it's whatever beer he has in his hand (likely, a bmc) mixed with tomato juice.

My brother in law drinks what he calls 'red beer'. Literally, it's whatever beer he has in his hand (likely, a bmc) mixed with tomato juice.

Yep, "poor man's bloody Mary" I've heard them called.

I made a standard bitter a while back (which wasn't so bitter after all) and have been mixing it with V8 to get rid of it.

Interesting though - you pointed out that it's getting to be tomato season here. I'm going to have a ton of tomatoes in a few weeks from my garden, but have never made my own tomato juice. Have you done this?

Yep, "poor man's bloody Mary" I've heard them called.

I made a standard bitter a while back (which wasn't so bitter after all) and have been mixing it with V8 to get rid of it.

Interesting though - you pointed out that it's getting to be tomato season here. I'm going to have a ton of tomatoes in a few weeks from my garden, but have never made my own tomato juice. Have you done this?

Most of my tomatoes never get a chance to get ripe can you say fried green tomatoes?

Vance71975 said:
Most of my tomatoes never get a chance to get ripe can you say fried green tomatoes?

That could be cool in a pilsener... Throw some bread crumbs into the mash, secondary for 3-4 days on sliced green tomatoes... Hmm...

Back