CT Brewers Check-In

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh that's great. A bit of a hike for me but I would love to brew together at some point. Do you know of any brewer's clubs in the area?

According to the AHA there are a bunch of HBC's but they are all over the place see the pics below...I know a bunch on the NY side as well. I'm more of a lone brewer...I have three kids (4 yo and twin 1 yos) so it's difficult for me to carve out time...especially with me finishing my second masters and work (I'm a MS teacher and Varsity baseball coach).

Once the pandemic gets under control though would be up for some group brewing...I've got a bunch of friends who have asked to come by for a brew day so when that comes if you're still hanging around here you are more than welcome if you want to hike!

Attachments

• 4E5656FD-6A39-4815-BE55-91A800252B75.png
    4E5656FD-6A39-4815-BE55-91A800252B75.png
    531.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 3383C4A3-A86B-4682-A1D4-61CC32167D02.png
    3383C4A3-A86B-4682-A1D4-61CC32167D02.png
    408.9 KB · Views: 16
  • E8AEAFF5-466A-45E9-BA59-6A4A94647657.jpeg
    E8AEAFF5-466A-45E9-BA59-6A4A94647657.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 15
  • B7D6A7C4-C004-4039-B7A7-F4695E68AD69.jpeg
    B7D6A7C4-C004-4039-B7A7-F4695E68AD69.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 16
  • C9829C2F-D43F-4273-8BB6-BEAD6E0B107A.png
    C9829C2F-D43F-4273-8BB6-BEAD6E0B107A.png
    786.5 KB · Views: 15
According to the AHA there are a bunch of HBC's but they are all over the place see the pics below...I know a bunch on the NY side as well. I'm more of a lone brewer...I have three kids (4 yo and twin 1 yos) so it's difficult for me to carve out time...especially with me finishing my second masters and work (I'm a MS teacher and Varsity baseball coach).

Once the pandemic gets under control though would be up for some group brewing...I've got a bunch of friends who have asked to come by for a brew day so when that comes if you're still hanging around here you are more than welcome if you want to hike!

Thanks for those. Ill reach out to them.

Hopefully the pandemic is under control by summertime. I am actually in the Montreal area until summer finishing my university studies so I wouldn't be back till then earliest, but if you do ever end up having a group brew shoot me a message. Always great to share some brews with fellow HB and bounce some ideas off each other.

Hello from Harwinton! Just bottled a 2 gallon batch of Bourbon Barrel porter, have a one gallon batch of Dry Stout in the fermenter.

That sounds delicious! Greetings just south of you in Oakville! I have a Bourbon barrel Porter as well with Jim beam in it and an imperial stout clocking in at 10.4% on nitro. I also did a raspberry imperial Stout with 4 lb of raspberries but a slightly different malt mix than the other Stout. Cheers buddy!

Anyone in the Fairfield area know if Hocon is still swapping out CO2? I know there was talk of a shortage. I have one empty and approximately half a tank left.

Edit: Called myself and found out they are working as normal...swapped my two ten pound cylinders for $45

Last edited:
Welcome! How you liking the capital city?
It's got a lot of nice areas and some good parks for walking and relaxing. I'm not a big fan of large cities, too much noise and traffic, but Hartford is small, like Portland Maine, so I don't really mind it as much as I would our two neighbors, Boston and NYC.

Hiddley-ho, Nutmeggerinos! Checking in here from the butt-end of Fairfield County in Stratford.

I've been brewing on and off (mostly off) for the past 25 years. But recently, living near (and work at) Sacred Heart University, I took advantage of their brand new Brewing Science Certificate program to up my brewing game. I don't have any plans to go pro, but my homebrewing has greatly improved.

I'll be taking advantage of the sudden spate of decent weather this weekend to brew up a winter ale, a simple clone of Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome.

Last edited:
I've been brewing on and off (mostly off) for the past 25 years. But recently, living near (and work at) Sacred Heart University, I took advantage of their brand new Brewing Science Certificate program to up my brewing game. I don't have any plans to go pro, but my homebrewing has greatly improved.
That is quite a commitment to upping your brewing game! I bet it was a fun program to participate in!

That is quite a commitment to upping your brewing game! I bet it was a fun program to participate in!
As an employee of the university, it wasn't a huge financial commitment (still cost a bit with lab fees, books, etc.), but it was a big time commitment. Totally worth it. I had a great time, got to brew on a 1bbl pilot system, some classes held at Two Roads Brewing, and interned for a semester at another local brewery.

As an employee of the university, it wasn't a huge financial commitment (still cost a bit with lab fees, books, etc.), but it was a big time commitment. Totally worth it. I had a great time, got to brew on a 1bbl pilot system, some classes held at Two Roads Brewing, and interned for a semester at another local brewery.

That's great! A couple of my former baseball players are there playing ball!

How are the CT homebrewers doing? Been busy for the upcoming holiday season! I still got a heifweisen and a S'mores Stout to make this week! That leaves two more taps to fill. Probably some sodas to mix it up from all the booze that will be on tap!
20211125_103619.jpg
20211125_103710.jpg

Cheers! There are a bunch of us active home brewers in the area. If you are interested in joining a home brew club meeting or two in the area drop a line.
I'd be interested in checking out a club meeting to see what it's all about.

@OLBrews and @wepeeler thanks for the invites. It's appreciated. But those are a bit to far for me to go. Maybe someone else will see these posts and join you.

Alright brewers, Maltose is outta business...what are people doing for supplies?

I've used Morebeer, Atlantic Brew Supply and Delta Brewing Systems the past 3 brews but would like to stay local if possible...any recs?

Alright brewers, Maltose is outta business...what are people doing for supplies?

I've used Morebeer, Atlantic Brew Supply and Delta Brewing Systems the past 3 brews but would like to stay local if possible...any recs?
Beer and Wine Hobby in East Hartford. Takes about 20-25 min from Southington.

Brew & Wine Hobby is excellent. Thad is very helpful. Also, Phantom Brewing (formerly Beer & Winemaker's Warehouse) on Airport Rd in south Hartford is great and they have a brewery on-site. Bo is very helpful and friendly. Each has its strengths. Both have excellent grain and hops selections. B&W has a really good yeast selection. Phantom will measure exact amounts of hops instead of just buying by the ounce. Either one should meet your needs.

Hey Everyone. Haven't posted in here in a dog's age.

If anyone is from in and around the New Haven area, Brew Haven is meeting monthly at local breweries and at member's homes. Some of our local meeting spots are New England Brewing Co, Counter Weight Brewing, East Rock Brewing and Armada Brewing.

Our next meeting will be at Counter Weight on June 22nd from 6pm-8pm.

Hope to see you there.

Back