Any tips for this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SauceBoss

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thank you in advance for any opinions you may have. I recently purchased a license for Brewsmith and figured i'd give it a go at making my own recipe. While I'm going for an Indian Brown Ale I am not trying to mimic that of DFHs which seems that most people have posted about on the forums and hence figured I would ask to see if anyone could offer some advice. Below is what I have so far.

Type: Partial Mash
Est. OG: 1.072
est. FG: 1.018
Mash: 152 for 60 min.
Boil: 90 min

Fermentables:
6 lbs. - Light DME
2 lbs. - Pale Malt 2 row
8 oz. - Crystal Malt (60L)
8 oz. - Biscuit Malt
8 oz. - Chocolate Malt
4 oz. - Brown Sugar @ 10 min

Hops:
1.25 oz - Warrior @ 60 min
1.00 oz - Williamette @ 20 min
1.00 oz - Williamette @ end of boil

Yeast:
White Labs Irish Ale (WLP004)

Thank you all again in advance and I look forward to your replies.

Unless you are REALLY committed on the brown sugar, I would say try some (4oz-8oz) backstrap molasses instead at flame out. Brown sugar is just cane sugar with a little molasses added in. Cane sugar will add "cidery" and "hot" flavors but not much because of the low quantity. other than that it looks great!

I have a 1/4 bbl of brown waiting...errr...aging until there is an open spot in my keggerator...also a little (8 oz) smoked malt (NOT PEATED) may be nice if you like that sort of thing.

GL!

Back