How to puree apricots for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonBoy47

Reaction score
I have searched the forum and couldnt find much info on how to puree apricots for brewing. I found many posts on using apricots but not on how to prepare them. I have seen a few recipes online for apricot puree but all of them included adding sugar. Im not sure if this technique would be best suited for using the fruit in beer. What do you guys think?

And fyi the reason im asking is because when I saw the price of buying apricot puree I almost fell over. $20 to $25 for 3 lbs of mashed up fruit is crazy! Just my $.02

Ok here is what I am thinking after more online research......I will boil each apricot for 20 seconds and place them in ice water to cool. This will allow me to remove the skins. I will then remove the skins and the pits and place them in a pot with a small amount of additional water. Bring the temp up to 160 to 180 degrees to pasturize them. Stir the fruit to get the "puree" consistency. Cover the pot let the fruit cool. Then place the fruit in a freezer bag and freeze it for 48 hours. And last defrost, add to secondary, and rack beer on top.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

I've done dried dates this way. Take a half gallon of water and crush 1/2 of a camden tablet an bring it to a boil. When the water reaches a boil remove from heat and drop in 1-2 pounds dried apricots, cover and let steep overnight.

Sanitize the inside of a food processor or blender with starsan or iodophor and pulse the apricots and liquid until you have a paste. If you want it chunkier, then pulse for only a little bit of time.

I've made date wine by then pushing the puree through a fine meshed strainer with the back of a spoon to collect the liquid. I then use the remaining pulp in making a bread or cake.

That sounds like a good method too. I ended up using the method I described above. It seemed ti work pretty well. Ill let you guys know how the beer comes out.

Back