Blue silicone heater hose safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzombie

Reaction score
I finally found some silicone hose in my neighborhood, but it's blue reinforced silicone heater hose (G382). I'm not sure if this is food safe (it's clearly not intended for food purposes). the inside is silicone and the outside cover is silicone rubber too. Sandwiched between is braided yarn.

Is this stuff safe for brewing?

If they aren't saying it is food safe, it is either because it's not or they have no reason to go through the expense of certifying it as such. The process of making, curing rubber & plastics includes all sorts of chemicals and release agents that can get into whatever you use it for. I doubt the manufacturer would tell you it was safe.

If they aren't saying it is food safe, it is either because it's not or they have no reason to go through the expense of certifying it as such. The process of making, curing rubber & plastics includes all sorts of chemicals and release agents that can get into whatever you use it for. I doubt the manufacturer would tell you it was safe.

So no good huh? I can't find any info on it's safety. I've wasted so much time and money looking for this stuff locally. I give up. I guess I'll stick with reinforced vinyl for now. SOAB!

Do you have ACE hardware stores up there? The 3 that are closest to my house all carry food safe silicone hose in several sizes.

What did you do with this? I am in the process of setting up a Blichmann Top Tier stand, and I also bought blue heater hose. Specifically, its super-sil heater hose, blue exterior, and red on the inside. It's a high end automotive hose that the sales guy insisted was food safe because it's silicone. I remain skeptical. Just wondering about your experience?

Thanks,
Jim

What did you do with this? I am in the process of setting up a Blichmann Top Tier stand, and I also bought blue heater hose. Specifically, its super-sil heater hose, blue exterior, and red on the inside. It's a high end automotive hose that the sales guy insisted was food safe because it's silicone. I remain skeptical. Just wondering about your experience?

Thanks,
Jim

I decided not to trust it. It's not necessarily 100% silicone...I worry that any possible impurities may not be food safe or will cause off-flavors. I wasn't willing to do the experiment. Let me know if yours works out.

For the money, you probably ought to get the white silicone tubing. It's expensive, but lasts forever. Plus, you can see the wort...which is a pretty big deal.

Back