no fermentation in cider after 4 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermicous

Reaction score
I am starting to get a bit concerned, this is my first cider attempt and there is no fermentation after 4 days.

I used dry yeast, rehydrated, the same batch I used on a stout the same day. The stout is bubbling away.

The only thing I can think of is the metabisulphite I used may have been to much. My LHBS guy sold me it in loose granules, told me to use 1/8 teaspoon per gallon. I had waited about 60 hours before pitching the yeast after treating the cider, but now I wonder if that was too much.

Does anyone know if this is correct? At this point I am thinking about testing the pH, oxygenating, and then pitching more yeast. But from what I read, none of these should be necessary.

Very confused and thanks in advance.

Pitch more yeast. If it was the metabisulphite, it should be gone by now. (Or you could check the gravity, cider can ferment over-night)

The cider I used was labeled as UV treated, no preservatives. I put 5 gallons in one fermenter and 5 gallons with 5 lbs. of sugar in the other.

After six days, I finally drew off a large sample from the plain cider and tested it. The OG was around 1.045, I was unable to get an exact reading because I promptly dropped my hydrometer while measuring. I used the samples to rehydrate a wine yeast and an ale yeast. After about 3 hours the ale yeast showed a definite reaction, so I pitched it. The wine yeast did not show a reaction till the next day, even then it was very slight. I pitched it and noticed the ale yeast has started to ferment, though very slowly, maybe one bubble every 30 seconds.

I don't know why I am having so much trouble with this batch. I'll take this trouble over an infection though, this is fixable.

It doesn't sound good I'll admit. As it was a UV treated juice you didn't need sulphite but the amount you added and the time lapse before pitching yeast wouldn't have made a difference.
What temp are you trying to ferment them at? I'd guess fine if you're done a stout recently and it's not too cold. If it's slowly taking off I'd sit tight and wait longer as you plan.

It's almost been a month now. I have tried multiple pitchings, aeration, and pH testing. However, my LHBS guy says that NH doesn't list potassium sorbate as a preservative, so the farm may have added it without listing it on the package.

I was going to swing by the farm and ask them directly, but this morning the airlock is bubbling away. This is either one long lag time or an infection.

At this point, it was going to be tossed anyway, might as well wait and see.

A month is one very long time to wait for fermentation signs, but since it is fermenting, I would let it go until SG readings indicate it is complete then give it a taste. I have made a couple of ciders. One used a champagne yeast and the other used Nottingham ale yeast (both dry). Both had significant activity within 18 hours. when I racked them, they both tasted very dry (like flat champagne) and when bottling, I added corn suger for carbing and lactose (~ 250 grams per 5 gallon batch) for a bit of added sweetness. They are both aged about 4 weeks so far and I just popped one of each to test before posting this. The champagne yeast brew is much drier than the ale yeast brew, but they are both drinkable at this point. The thing to remember is that a fruit based brew will take much longer to condition so you won't be drinkingn this anytime soon.

Back