Electric Element wiring questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
I have a three-prong dryer plug to wire up my electric bk, but am unsure as to how to determine which wire is for the ground prong. I assume it is the center of the three wires running into the plug (looks like this l l l ) and the two outer wires go to L1 and L2. But 220v and assuming is bad in my book... so how do I verify this? I have a multimeter if that would help me somehow.

-Kevin

Yes, the center of the three bonded wires is the ground. When I say bonded, I am talking about the fact that they are stuck together. A multi meter set to conductivity will confirm this. One lead on the bare wire and the other lead on the prong.

Brilliant! Thanks Greenmonti... it has been a long day. I just need to clear the cobwebs, but thanks for doing that and pointing out the multimeter thing!

Using a meter you figure this out. Set it to measure resistance and measure from the prong to the wire ends. When you read 0 ohms then you found the wire connected to that prong.

The round post is ground, the skinny blade is 110, the wide blade is neutral.

NM... thought you were talking 110.

The ground prong is the middle bottom one. the L1 and L2 should be shaped like / and \ .
The ground pin may also have a 90 degree angle in it

Green = ground, red = hot, black = negative, and if it has a white, that's neutral.

WTF! This advice will get someone hurt or a big arc and fireball with a tripped breaker at best. You working with a DC circuit here?
In my world as a 30 year state licensed union wireman, red and black the hots on a 240 volt AC circuit, green your ground, white the neutral. Three wire is old crap you should use a 4 wire system.

WTF! This advice will get someone hurt or a big arc and fireball with a tripped breaker at best. You working with a DC circuit here?
In my world as a 30 year state licensed union wireman, red and black the hots on a 240 volt AC circuit, green your ground, white the neutral. Three wire is old crap you should use a 4 wire system.

Actually, if you take his advice at face value it shouldn't really result in any fireballs. He got the neutral and grounds right and only messed up the concept of AC. Of course ignorance of fundamental priciples tends to cast suspicion on all related advice, but this is the interwebs....

Actually, if you take his advice at face value it shouldn't really result in any fireballs. He got the neutral and grounds right and only messed up the concept of AC. Of course ignorance of fundamental priciples tends to cast suspicion on all related advice, but this is the interwebs....

Very true, I was harsh as I live in an small old city with houses from the 1880's to present with many fire reports from illegal wiring by homeowners especially with older homes. I've seen enough to wonder why the houses are still standing, yes that bad including the penny behind the Edison fuse trick. Even Edison fuses removed and the circuit still hot due to the insulating material under the center of the fuse holder washer missing and the brass washer shunting across preventing the fuse safety protection. This on a friends aunts house I "had to look at as a favor". It was loaded with electric heaters drawing 44 amps on a 20 amp circuit for 20 plus years. I hate any "ding bat" house electrical work hence commercial and industrial was my thing.

I believe that's pretty much what I said. I wasn't thinking and typed negative. Don't get all bent out of shape.

Back