Hippie Wine Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, I don't rack to a smaller container. However, I'm very good at losing very little must each time I rack. A racking cane is key.

As far as the sulfite and sorbate, I don't think they technically ever lose their effect. They are both chemical compounds that once present, do their job without changing. The potassium sorbate forms sorbic acid that inhibits yeast reproduction, and once added, I don't think yeast will ever effectively reproduce in that must ever again. However, I have not tried this and cannot confirm.

As for the general tomfoolery in this thread, I suggest to all to keep a thick skin (after all, it is an anonymous web forum).

How long should it take for campden and sorbates to lose their effect enough for fermentation to restart?

They should never lose their effectiveness. That's the point. You can sweeten wines by using sorbate and campden, without a chance of refermenting in the bottle years later.

Also, Jack Keller may not have always said in each recipe to rack to a smaller container, but it's pretty much considered "Winemaking 101".

Any more namecalling, (and it case you didn't know, the word "idiot" is considered a name) and we'll be all done here. You came in to ask questions. I can't help it if you don't like the answers. There are other forums that might be better suited to your temperment.

Apparently the first ban didnt work on him. :)

These forums are better off without these kinds of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back