Just received an odd looking Megapot from Midwest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyPete

Reaction score
Just got a 10 gallon MegaPot 1.2 from Midwest Supplies. Looks different from the ones I've seen online and in person. This has no lip which is annoying because I sometimes to brew in a bag with a handy bungie. Going to be a little less stable without a lip. And the MegaPot logo is not laser etched in like they boast about. It's just engraved. Stainless doesn't look quite as shiny either. My neighbor brought his over to compare. Trying to find a magnet to make sure it sticks to the bottom to verify that it sticks like it should.

Posting pics of the one I got with the engraved logo and my neighbors with the lip and the etched logo. Even the lid is a little different.

Anyone seen these? Did I get an old version or something?

MegaPot_Engraved.jpg

MegaPot_laser_etch.jpg

MegaPot_side_by_side.jpg

megapot_lid.jpg

That logo is stamped, which would be a less expensive way of putting it on (after tooling up for it, that is) than the old screened/etched way of doing it. My guess is that you got a "new and improved" version that is designed to cut manufacturing costs to Midwest/NB.

Does it seem to be just as sturdy as your neighbor's MegaPot? The lid looks like it might be less secure, but that could easily just be the picture.

Also
Midwest Supplies Website said:
And last of all, the MegaPot 1.2 logo is laser etched on every kettle. When you have the best, show it off!
False advertising? :p

Does it seem to be just as sturdy as your neighbor's MegaPot? The lid looks like it might be less secure, but that could easily just be the picture.

It does feel 100% as sturdy, but I'm not sure it's the same stainless steel. Obviously it ISN'T brushed nickel, but it looks more like brushed nickel than stainless. Kind of dull, less polished. The lid is actually a little MORE secure on the lame one that I have. The top lid is straight. No curved lip so the lid sits snugly inside. His sort of slides around a bit. But, yeah, definitely isn't as sexy as advertised. A little disappointed. I'm going to give them a call but I have to do the magnet test first. I'll update this with what I find out.

Update: Magnet does stick. And it looks like this is the new version. From Midwest Supplies:

"...we switched that size kettle to a new updated version, which should have a better passive oxide layer and has slight design changes, as you'll see. I'm not sure why the move for the lip was made, sorry about the unadvertised differences."

They've actually been really good as far as customer service goes. But, this does look like this is how they'll be made from now on.

My new Megapot 1.2 just arrived and I'm sad to say the one Skinnypete got is actually superior to mine.

As noted above, the website clearly states that the logo is laser etched for a sharp appearance. Like Skinnypete's, mine was also stamped, but unfortunately mine was very poorly stamped. The left side was struck much harder so the indentation is much deeper on the left. From a few feet away it reads "Megapo" because the last letter is very faint. Instead of the sharp appearance worthy of a $200 brew kettle, it looks like a cheap piece of crap from China.

My lid also does not fit properly. It requires force to get it on, and then it doesn't fit snugly. One side always pops up a few millimeters.

The valve assembly kit that came with it, for $50 I might add, did not include all the parts necessary for installation. I had to drop what I was doing and run to Lowe's so I could get it ready for brew day.

With the valve left open and the pot sitting flat, it only drains to the 2-gallon mark. Is this normal? I realize there will always be some dead space, but 2 gallons in a 10 gallon pot just seems excessive. I have to tilt the pot to actually drain it. I built a kettle screen to use with the pot, but it clogged up moments after tilting the kettle to drain. Seems to completely defeat the purpose of a valve in the first place. I guess I'll have to install an elbow, forgo the kettle screen, and go back to using a hop bag.

All in all, I'm very disappointed in the "Megapo". I strongly advise against getting one.

You can't fault the pot for not draining everything if you use a bulkhead design that doesn't have a diptube of any kind. I always recommend an elbow style buklhead that acts as a mini diptube and use a bag to contain hops. Nothing is worse than clogging up your drain when you still have wort in there.

They've actually been really good as far as customer service goes.

Except for the part where they got hacked and exposed thousands of customers' credit cards to hackers, then steadfastly denied it for months until finally admitting it had, in fact, happened, and it was indeed their fault that so many of their customers were having their credit cards used maliciously.

Except for that.

I guess the boycott is over? Or do we just have short memories?

We'll dogpile on BMC for having the gall to make a product we don't like, but turn the other cheek when a homebrew company wrecklessly exposes our private financial information and lies about it?

I like the stamped look better than the laser etched. But the stamp doesn't look very even.

Except for the part where they got hacked and exposed thousands of customers' credit cards to hackers, then steadfastly denied it for months until finally admitting it had, in fact, happened, and it was indeed their fault that so many of their customers were having their credit cards used maliciously.

Except for that.

I guess the boycott is over? Or do we just have short memories?

We'll dogpile on BMC for having the gall to make a product we don't like, but turn the other cheek when a homebrew company wrecklessly exposes our private financial information and lies about it?

Just in case anyone forgot, it's a good thing you brought it back up. (That's sarcasm, which you can't hear online.)

You can't fault the pot for not draining everything if you use a bulkhead design that doesn't have a diptube of any kind. I always recommend an elbow style buklhead that acts as a mini diptube and use a bag to contain hops. Nothing is worse than clogging up your drain when you still have wort in there.

Well, of course I don't fault the pot. It's an inanimate object.

I fault the supplier who charges $50 for a valve added on - only to fail to include all required parts for installation. Said valve also requires extra parts not included (dip tube / elbow) for it to actually function adequately.

LandoLincoln said:
I like the stamped look better than the laser etched. But the stamp doesn't look very even.

I forgot to mention that my stamp is also not plumb with the pot. It's canted a few degrees. It looks like someone just eyeballed the placement of the stamp.

My parents actually got me a tallboy through Midwest for the holidays. It was insanely pitted throughout the kettle and a clear seam on one side from where they pressed the logo.

Midwest was actually very good on getting me a label and sent out a new kettle before I even shipped mine. Unfortunately, they sent me a Megapot (not that I would mind the upgrade) with what appeared to be the start of someone drilling a port in the bottom. Indentation, abrasion and a punch-pit mark on the inside. Very strange, but again Midwest sent me a label but I'm going to try with another company.

As for the valve, I would say you can't fault Midwest or any online company. They can't read your mind. If you want the entire setup you need to order it. And if you read the description of the valve you would know that it would not come with the parts you thought it would.

Overall, I am still getting a tallboy as it perfectly fits my stove and I can rock out 3-5 gallon batches. I have learned that both the tallboy and megapot appear to be of lesser quality than anticipated. Though the megapot is so much nicer.

I've lurked these forums for years but upon my situation and finding this thread I had to register to post this.

I recently ordered the 10 Gallon Megapot 1.2 all grain kit from Midwest. It arrived today and I got the same kettles. I called in and they said that it is "likely" that this is the new design. The top doesn't flare, the label is punched and the quality is so so.

As you can see in the photos below
The punched logo
ojS0JRd.jpg

The Flat Top
P1K9VDt.jpg

The crummy "welds" on the bottom
4EnaRWV.jpg

It looks like the "tri clad' is just an extra chunk of metal welded on to the bottom
bpcuzuH.jpg

Mine also had issues with being out of round, or the tops being warped. The top sits a few mm out of each one. This isn't a matching issue as this exists with both pots.
QGDD8lY.jpg

The false bottom that comes with it is also the wrong size. This is the furthest I can get it in the pot without forcing it badly. It also isn't sitting on the rivets. I can get it to the bottom of the pot if I tip it sideways and put a concerning amount of force into it, but it scratches the hell out of the pot. Then when its at the bottom is bows and ends up like a jar's pop top. Getting it out needs a significant force on those little spot welds. This happens no matter what angle I put it in.
h4jBWrk.jpg

I called them up and they are shipping me new ones, but I'm not confident that a new set will be any better in quality. I was excited about getting stuff from Midwest as I loved them back when I lived in MN, but from what I recieved and what I'm seeing from others is that their recent private equity aquisition has had them looking at profit more than service. False advertising and ill informed customer service makes me worried.
iaeGDaG.jpg

As Advertised
megapot_1.2_pro_all_grain_system.jpg

I'll keep you updated on the ones I get next week. Of all of this the most upsetting part is that I had to cancel brew weekend indefinitely. Ever since my move out west i've been talking up brewing to my friends and coworkers and I was planning on having a few folks over to brew. Booooooooooo to that.

It's been 2-3 years since I've been on the forums/brewing much, but now that I'm back around it seems there have been quite a few customer service/quality issues surrounding NB/Midwest the last couple of years.

Pretty disappointing from what I considered to be one of the best HBS's out there a few years ago.

Those pics of the new Megapot are pretty bad. The botched tri-clad bonding issue is one that should have absolutely been caught by QC. Removing the rolled lip will reduce the strength of the pot and result (as some have already seen) in more likely occurrences of ovality (especially as the pots get larger). If their supplier changed the design on them they should have went to someone else to match the specs of the old kettle, or if they changed the specs themselves they should have made it very clear on their website that the kettle was changing. This is really, really poor management on display.

NB's sight states the logo is stamped, but the pics are of the etched models. Bummer to read about the design change. I almost considered the Megapot for a second bigger mashtun/boil kettle. Think I'll just stick with the Bayous.

NB's sight states the logo is stamped, but the pics are of the etched models. Bummer to read about the design change. I almost considered the Megapot for a second bigger mashtun/boil kettle. Think I'll just stick with the Bayous.

Just reading through this makes me feel bad for some of you guys dealing with the quality issue for that price. For $200 bucks you should be getting a bullet proof pot. My 9 gallon bayou ss came with the basket and lid for $65. It has a bit of flex but I expect that for the price.

Have you looked into Concord professional pots? Those things are excellent quality. I had a 12 gallon from Ebay for about $125 that was of unbelievable quality. No bulkheads though and riveted but the rivets were All-clad quality.

wow.. that is really unfortunate. Really no excuse to call an obvious fall in quality an "upgrade"

Just reading through this makes me feel bad for some of you guys dealing with the quality issue for that price. For $200 bucks you should be getting a bullet proof pot. My 9 gallon bayou ss came with the basket and lid for $65. It has a bit of flex but I expect that for the price.

Have you looked into Concord professional pots? Those things are excellent quality. I had a 12 gallon from Ebay for about $125 that was of unbelievable quality. No bulkheads though and riveted but the rivets were All-clad quality.

I'd get my money back and order a kettle from Update International. I have three. Excellent quality, consistency, durability. Formed and not rolled and welded. Excellent tri-clad bottoms. These pots are beasts!

I'd get my money back and order a kettle from Update International. I have three. Excellent quality, consistency, durability. Formed and not rolled and welded. Excellent tri-clad bottoms. These pots are beasts!

Really?

How would one do a deep-draw weldless kettle with a tri-clad bottom?

Seems like a disconnect there.

btw, some of the best kettles ever made are two-weld style...

Cheers!

I felt it was obvious that the tri-clad bottom, by necessity? Was added to the pot after it was drawn. Guess I expected too much.

Man this stinks. I have the old style and love it so much I was going to order a second to use as a HLT just to have a matching set. I ordered one with the ball valve and thermometer which had everything needed in the box. I don't have a dip tube in mine but I think I can get down to about a gallon left in the pot.

I've ordered various parts and supplies from both Midwest and NB and have never had a problem with them before. Hopefully they get this straightened out for you guys.

I felt it was obvious that the tri-clad bottom, by necessity? Was added to the pot after it was drawn. Guess I expected too much.

Yeah, from what I understand it will always be added to the bottom after the fact. My issue is how poorly it looks to be done. Either the welds are crap or the grinding/cleanup they did on this one was poorly done. For "commercial quality" I expect better than this.

I shipped back the kettles and FB today. Replacement ones should be here thursday. Hopefully I get some better quality, as I don't want to have to push brewing weekend back another week.

There is a local place that sells similar kettles, so I might just pick those up if this next batch is subpar.

I've been trying to talk to the manager at MW but missed his call on Friday, called back and haven't heard back from him so far.

The reason I suggested the Update International kettle is that they are top quality & very well made. Certainly no issues w/ the attachment of the trip-clad bottoms in my experience. I've had at least 4 different sizes as my brewery has grown.

If you're going to keep patronizing these clowns, you get what you deserve. Credit card hacking, continuing to sell lethally-thin glass BMB's, deleting any/all negative product reviews from their website, ... you should know better than to trust these guys.

If you're going to keep patronizing these clowns, you get what you deserve. Credit card hacking, continuing to sell lethally-thin glass BMB's, deleting any/all negative product reviews from their website, ... you should know better than to trust these guys.

I used to shop at their brick and motor with most of the folks I knew. Their on-site customer service was amazing, as I used to seek out Jason Davis before he started ENKI. None of us ever had a problem up until 2013 or so.

Almost every online retailer caters their online reviews, so i cannot fault them too much for that. Many small companies have had their credit card data compromised, so that's not unique. Granted Midwest did not handle it well, but they eventually and painfully owned up to it.

I understand that the Homebrewing community has high standards for their retailers, but I fail to see many other companies out there that are shining beacons of amazingness. Also, coming into a thread and dropping your comment isn't very helpful to me or a product review at all.

On another note, I recieved the replacements and the kettles are alright. The welds are better. One is good, but the other is adequate. I brewed a 5 of Black Ale with them and they worked out well.

The new false bottom is very rigid and needed some filing to fit better. I like a snug fit, but it was a bit too big. When it arrive it was so far jammed in the bottom of the barrel, that I had to fashion a coat hanger hook to pull it out, lest the welds break on the handle. He said that they are looking to go back to the old laser etched version. He also said that the laser etched was a "temporary" version until they ironed down the product and that the stamped was the original intent (but they couldn't get it done in time of the first rollout). He apologized for the incorrect data on the website and customer service rep, and said that there are three versions out there (old-laser etched flared, current-stamped and flat topped, and new-laser etched and flat topped). He apologized as inventory has to rotate so there might be some confusion.

The plastic BMB is going back as I still cannot get it to seal, even with the new lid. The manager I talked to said that this has happened before and offered a few "hacks" to get it to work, actually citing a few posts on this site. I personally don't feel like hacking a new product, so it's going back. Trying to seal a carboy with a very thin plastic on plastic ridge was an obvious failure. I hope they take this feedback into account for the BMB v3.0 as it, as a concept, is a great idea. The execution is still lagging.

Overall their customer service was adequate. They scheduled UPS pick up the next day, and I recieved my requested escalated phone call within 3 business days. We played phone tag a bit due to time zone issues, until I was given the managers personal cell phone. He was curteous and apologietic and gave me the standard customer service apologies. Overall nice and polite, but I felt that these kind of issues were common. I would say that I'm satisfied with my purchase and service recieved, but not impressed. After a cancelled brew day, carboy frustrations, having to "custom" my gear, not getting what I ordered, all after dropping $1200+ in one order; I would call myself a bit "miffed". My future gear will be coming from the local shop, AdventuresInHB or MoreBeer.

If you are going to order these pots, I would suggest a phone call when you order to be sure that you are getting what you think you are getting.

I'm willing to give better photos if any one asks.

Yes, please post some pics of the replaced gear. I would like to see them. Thanks.

I'll say this. I'm concerned about NB/Midwest. I haven't ordered from Midwest since the CC hacking issue, and probably won't in the future either but they are owned and affiliated by if not affiliated with Northern Brewer, correct? I remember issues with the Tall Boy kettles a few years back and now there's issues with the glass/plastic BMB fermentors and the newer Megapots. It's disappointing to say the least as I would think better planning should have been executed before rolling these new products out to the homebrewer.

That's sad as I could see two- three new Megapots sitting in my brewery, but I'm not willing to take that chance now after this thread.

The reason I suggested the Update International kettle is that they are top quality & very well made. Certainly no issues w/ the attachment of the trip-clad bottoms in my experience. I've had at least 4 different sizes as my brewery has grown.

Seconded on the UI. I still have the 10 gallon kettle I bought on Amazon a couple years ago. It's built like a tank, the handles are attached with a robust plate and huge rivets. Tri-clad bottom appears well-constructed. Only gripe is that it has a rather wide profile, so more boiloff.

I also have the Concord 20 gallon kettle. Not as robust as the UI, but still a very well-made kettle for $115.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back