cider smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats the smell of your brew fermenting. Give it time, it will start to smell more like beer, and after you bottle and then open it....you'll be surprised. Do not worry my friend

Another possibility is from the sugar you used. Regular, refined, white table sugar will impart a cidery taste and smell to your beer. This could be a possibility, but if you used corn sugar then I wouldn't worry about it as long as you use corn sugar for the bottling as well. I have a buddy who consistently uses table sugar for brewing and bottling and likes the "unique flavor" his beers have, but I'm not a fan of the ultra-fizzy slightly sweeter aspects of his beers.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. It's your first batch, and you really won't know anything about it until you bottle it and subsequently drink it. As with anything, there is a learning curve to this wonderful little hobby and with each batch you will learn volumes over the previous info (for the first few batches, and will learn something else about your preferences and techniques forever more). Kick back and relax because in a week or so you will be able to drink your first homebrew....and it only gets better from there.

Tophe96 and homebrewer_99 thank you. Knowing it's a normal occurance is great to hear:D

myndphaser I used dextrose.

the bubbles have stopped now. Maybe I'll bottle it tomorrow.

Back