Is metabisulfite needed for sanitation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimmebeer

Reaction score
I have StarSan and iodophor on hand from making beer, but I notice the wine kit I'm getting calls for metabisulfite to sanitize everything. (It's a Winexpert kit, and I found the instructions online.)

I know that I'll probably need some sulfite eventually for later rackings and such, but do I really need it for sanitizing? I'm not that close to a supply store and I'd like to get to work on the kit when it arrives in a couple of days.

Thanks in advance.

From what i've read it's used to prevent oxidization when you rack. It also kills wild yeasts and bacteria especially in fresh fruits. So I would kinda think it was necessary. I'm not certain though by any means.

That's correct- you use it IN wine, but you don't need it for sanitation if you already have a good no-rinse sanitizer. I never have used sulfite for a sanitizer (well, I think I did once, when I was out of star-san). The wine kits have a little sulfite in them, so you only need to add more (purchased separately) when you go to bottle if you plan on aging the wine more than a few months. I like campden tablets for this- you use one crushed campden tablet per gallon, so there is no measuring 1/8 tsps like there is when you use potassium metabisulfite. Once I used up the package, I stopped buying it and just use the campden tablets. It's convenient.

Thanks, Yooper. That was the reassurance I was hoping for. I thought I'd read that Campden tabs were a pain to smash and grind, so I was planning to get the meta by the ounce or something. Maybe I'll try the tablets after all. Again, thanks for the info.

Thanks, Yooper. That was the reassurance I was hoping for. I thought I'd read that Campden tabs were a pain to smash and grind, so I was planning to get the meta by the ounce or something. Maybe I'll try the tablets after all. Again, thanks for the info.

You're welcome. Well, you do have to smash them up, but I just use a spoon, and they crush easily, then you pop them in the microwave with a little water, and they stir right up and dissolve. It's true that the k-meta powder is very easy to use, but in small batches, you're using pretty minute quantities. If you're making 10 gallons at a time, though, the powder would probably be the way to go- it would be cheaper and then you'd use like a whole teaspoon.

I use 1 campden tablet per gallon at the start, and then 1 campden tablet per gallon at every other racking, so a bottle does last a long time!

Back