Raspberry Lambic Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHilgeman

Reaction score
I used the wyeast lambic blend, it sat in primary for 3 weeks, then I transfered onto 5.25lbs of raspberries (Frozen, which I boiled for about 10 minutes). It has been in secondary for about a few months now. At first most of it was well-mixed, but then a bunch of the seeds and pump floated to the top of the fermenter. There seems to be a little bit of mold growing on it, both dark and light.

Any advice on what to do, transfer it away from that stuff, or let it keep going, or throw it in bottles?

My gravity is already down to 1.005, so the bugs are really doing their work, I am sure it will very slowly get lower, but it might be time just to bottle it.

Let that lambic sit for about a year in secondary, if not longer. It will eventually form a pellicle across the top of the beer and when that forms, try not to disturb it at all. The fruit pulp/seeds/junk will eventually fall to the bottom. When it does come time to bottle, you may want to pitch some fresh yeast, although of the lambics I've made (all have sat at least 2 years in carboys/bottles), they still had good carbonation. Then, let it sit in the bottle for about another year. You made a good beer, but it takes a LONG time to age/condition.

I take a picture and post it of the mold. Pellicle forming is good, actual mold is bad IMO.
Also, the only time this happened to me was my first try at cloning New Glarus' Belgian Red that used more than 20lbs of cherries in a 5 gallon batch(something like that). I kept checking the beer and must have let something in with all the O2/etc. Long story short, when you've got a beer with a lot of fruit in secondary(especially when its floating on the surface), don't check it often or at all if you can help it until you're pretty sure its done and you're ready to rack or bottle.

Back