fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyno79

Reaction score
I am brand new to home brew. I've been reading that optimal temps for ale fermentation is between 65-70F. I am concerned because I've been taking temp readings in all the spots i have available for storage. Theses temps range from 55-62F. IS this a huge problem? Should I regulate temp with a heater? I just received my intermediate starter kit from Midwest Supply this morning, and I am anxious to get started. Any info or suggestion would be apretiated! Thank You

If it's that cold, I would try to add a little (not much heat) to bring the temps up. If you can at least get into the low 60's (and stay there) you'll be fine, 65-70 is best for most ales . A small space heater with some kind of thermostat should work fine.

If you have a place that is consistently in the 60 to 62 range that should be ok. Just wrap a blanket around the carboy or something to keep it insulated. Once the Fermentation takes of it will heat up a bit anyway and should raise the temp. Otherwise you can go with a heater of some kind but it won't take much.

What you also want is consistency in your temps if possible.

Back