Catch-all thread to discuss brewing 100% brett beers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those of you using east coast yeast, where the heck do you acquire this?

As far as cell counts and starters are concerned, from what I have learned, the wyeast Brett cultures contain significantly larger cell counts compared to the white labs cultures.

TD

Those of you using east coast yeast, where the heck do you acquire this?

As far as cell counts and starters are concerned, from what I have learned, the wyeast Brett cultures contain significantly larger cell counts compared to the white labs cultures.

TD

I have had some luck scoring ecy yeast on love2brew.com. They go fast on there. I probably have a 25% success rate of scoring something when they do a release. I believe love2brew post stuff on their Facebook and twitter when they receive more inventory. I also follow a couple threads here on hbt that people update when l2b gets new inventory. There is also a google group some people follow from a different homebrew shop.

I have yet to land ECY Brett Naardenensis (ECY30) which I want for a 100% brett n vs wy brett l porter. With ecy increasing production, hopefully 2014 will make it easier to obtain some of their yeast.

Something like a pale ale, I wouldnt really want to cellar. The wheatwhine sounds perfect for it though! I would love to have something big like that and ferment half with a sacc strain only, and half with a brett strain only and see where it goes.

Brett beers age differently than sacc beers, I believe owing to the continued oxygen scavenging of brett in the bottle. There is also a huge difference in the hop flavor/aroma of brett beers over time. It doesn't fade the same way it does with sacc beers, I think also due to the oxygen scavenging.

Brett beers age differently than sacc beers, I believe owing to the continued oxygen scavenging of brett in the bottle. There is also a huge difference in the hop flavor/aroma of brett beers over time.

True, but what I'd love some data on is how 100% Brett-fermented beers change over a long aging period, as opposed to beers with just a Brett secondary. Specifically aroma.

My experience agrees with the research out there that the tropical / passionfruit esters created by the all-brett fermentation start to drop out in as little as five or six weeks. I suppose this is why beers with an all brett fermentation are generally enjoyed younger.

But what will happen down the line? Because an all-brett fermentation is not super-attenuative, can I assume that means the Brett isn't doing as much with the oxygen as time goes on, and the aroma will just continue to fade?

If nothing else, I just put 5Gal of an all-brett pale into aging. I'll let everyone know in a year or so.

My experience agrees with the research out there that the tropical / passionfruit esters created by the all-brett fermentation start to drop out in as little as five or six weeks.

Gotta link?

Brett beers age differently than sacc beers, I believe owing to the continued oxygen scavenging of brett in the bottle. There is also a huge difference in the hop flavor/aroma of brett beers over time. It doesn't fade the same way it does with sacc beers, I think also due to the oxygen scavenging.

Exactly why I would love to do it! Having that in my basement for comparison at any timepoint :drunk: "sampling" 2 wheatwines at a time!

Back