My bag of hops look like a smack pack, why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jperry

Reaction score
I've never seen this before, and was wondering if anyone else has. I have a 1lb. bag of Simcoe Pellets, Hop Union, that is inflated like a balloon. I bought that bag in January, 2013, and its been in a freezer ever since. I have four other, 1lb. bags of Simcoe pellets, that I bought in April, 2013, that look normal.

The website states they'll last up to 3 to 4 years. I even called Hop Union Customer Service, then was directed to someone else. They had never heard of this either.

I'm looking for assurance that they are still good, before I open them up on brew day.

What would make the bag expand like this?
Have you ever seen this happen?
What are your thoughts?

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

They fill it with nitrogen to remove all oxygen to preserve the hops.

It's probably just a difference in air pressure from where the hops were packaged (higher pressure, maybe low altitude?) and you. I'd say grab a spare pack from your LHBS and then pop the balloon bag when it's time to brew. If the hops are yellow/brown and cheesy/feet smelling, they're no good. If they're green and smell like hops, they're good to go. Could be they just added a bit too much nitrogen when flushing the bag. Where in SD are you- altitude could affect it.

Though unlikely, it could be botulism. I would toss the bag, or take it somewhere to get tested for Botch, almost any local University or Foodservice supplier should be well equipped to perform the simple test. Botulism thrives in an anaerobic environment where the pH is above 5.3. Never seen it before in hops, but I've seen it elsewhere and it's some nasty stuff.

They fill it with nitrogen to remove all oxygen to preserve the hops.

But, they don't fill it with nitrogen, they flush them. At least, thats what I thought. Plus, the bags on the verge of popping open.

It's probably just a difference in air pressure from where the hops were packaged (higher pressure, maybe low altitude?) and you. I'd say grab a spare pack from your LHBS and then pop the balloon bag when it's time to brew. If the hops are yellow/brown and cheesy/feet smelling, they're no good. If they're green and smell like hops, they're good to go. Could be they just added a bit too much nitrogen when flushing the bag. Where in SD are you- altitude could affect it.

Thanks! However, I don't think that it's the altitude (East SD) because I have four other 1lb. pound bags, of the same Simcoe pellets, that aren't inflated like this one. All being stored in the same freezer. I guess I'll wait for the brew day this weekend, and see if they are at all cheesy. If so, I'll toss them. but, I'd like to think they just over did the nitrogen.

Though unlikely, it could be botulism. I would toss the bag, or take it somewhere to get tested for Botch, almost any local University or Foodservice supplier should be well equipped to perform the simple test. Botulism thrives in an anaerobic environment where the pH is above 5.3. Never seen it before in hops, but I've seen it elsewhere and it's some nasty stuff.

From everything I read online, it suggests that hop oils/extracts have antimicrobial effects, that are used against botulism.

If they have some guy filling bags making $8 an hour, he doesn't care to know the difference...

Just speculation.

True. Thanks for posting. However, I feel like they'd have a machine do that sort of work. I really have no idea, though. :cross:

If you have a vacuum bag sealer, open and check them. If they are good, bag them and seal them until you are ready to use them. If bad, you will know and can get more.

Opened them up to take a look, and they are perfectly fine...

Was it like that when you bought it, or did it happen since? The former wouldn't worry me, I've had leaf hops puffed out like that. If the latter, I'd be concerned what was causing it to inflate.

Was it like that when you bought it, or did it happen since? The former wouldn't worry me, I've had leaf hops puffed out like that. If the latter, I'd be concerned what was causing it to inflate.

I went back, and looked at a picture, I took of the different bags delivered. I was excited and wanted to show off. However, it was not full of nitrogen. In fact, it looked like all the others. I'm going to guess this is due to moisture and temp. fluctuation. They appear, and smell, great. So I'm not worried anymore.

Same thing on one of my bags. Opened it up and it was just fine.
Haven't heard back from OP... it must have been botulism. :p

Back