Fermenter blew off a ton of yeast. Can I harvest it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koch711

Reaction score
I brewed a modified version of Yooper's 60min IPA DFH clone last Sunday. It had a OG of 1.075. I pitched 1056 (stepped up 2L starter from a smack pack) at about 70 deg. F and brought it down to about 64-66 deg. F in my Cool Brewing Fermenter. I used a blowoff tube and one gallon milk container filled 1/2 full with starsan.The blowoff tube was only 1/2" with a drilled stopper though. It started fermenting within 2 hrs and was blowing off within 12 hrs. The blowoff completely filled the milk jug within 4 days. The beer was kept at 62-64 deg F the entire time. Today, day 6, I pulled the blowoff tube, switched it to a airlock, and took it out of the Cool Brewing bag since I needed it for the next batch. When I pulled out the blowoff container I noticed there was tons of yeast in the bottom, more than I even pitched. Couple questions. Most importantly, do you think it may have blew off too much yeast that beer may not finish? I'm not too worried right now, as it still looks to be active in the better bottle, but interested in thoughts. The gravity is down to 1.038 so far in 6 days. FG is estimated to be 1.018. Second question, can I harvest this yeast from the blowoff container or will the starsan have caused issues? Based on the amount of yeast in the container, I'm sure that the beer that blew off with the yeast must have been enough for the yeast to continue reproducing in that container. Here's a picture of the container when I pulled it out of the bag and another after I poured the beer off. The container is now in the refrigerator with sanitized foil covering it.

2012-06-23_09-56-14_995.jpg

2012-06-23_09-58-59_577.jpg

Went ahead and threw a 1/4 cup of the slurry from the blowoff into a 1L starter (100g DME / 1L water). Definitely got some action from it, but not sure as much as I normally get from a 1L from a smack pack. Debating whether to step it up to a 2L starter to see what happens or whether I should just forget the blowoff yeast and just try washing what is in the carboy when the batch of beer is done. Picture of the activity?

Thoughts anyone? Thanks

2012-06-24_07-30-37_66.jpg

Being it blew off into your starsan i would have initially said it wouldn't be a good idea since the sanitizer should have killed or affected the yeast, but since you have activity in the starter perhaps it's okay. I say go for it and report back. This is good information! Yeast lived through starsan exposure...

i just did this and had my 1st skim, essentially, filled a blow off container with starsan switched after 12 hours from massive fermentation. Switched to smaller rig for blow off for another 9 hours. and replaced with 1L flask sanitized filled with bottled water blow off and covered with foil. after another 24 hours of fermentation and cold crashed i have a VERRYYYY large WHITEE layer of yeast at the bottom. I would assume this is safe to harvest and reuse because i switched to a blowoff with sanatized water?

EDIT: Apologize for the revival i really hate opening new threads...

Here are those pics if any are interested
FIrst blow off...
DSCN4799_zpsed11f768.jpg

Secound "harvested" batch
DSCN4801_zpsca4de131.jpg

BTW this is WLP330

Back