I have the Auto-Siphon Blues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaronVonMeisterburger

Reaction score
My first time using the auto-siphon they supply with beer making kits will be my last. What a piece of junk. I can't be the only one who thinks this.

STP_Beer_8771-574x383.jpg

I need something else to do transfers. I don't want to buy a $100 electric pump.

I was thinking this might work OK. What do you think?

31kc38qcB7L.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00481RCYE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
The internal plunger part on mine is smaller than it should be, so it doesn't get a good seal. It's a loose fit. It takes a few tries to get it working which introduced some bubbles. Should it work with one plunge?

I'll mess around with later, but it didn't seem right.

Also, I just bought a new one with a plastic clip to clip to my boil kettle. Huge plus. I believe I got it at AHS.

It should be a relatively tight fit but you can wiggle it back and forth a bit. Sometimes I have to pump 3 times or so but usually less.

It also looks like you could use a hose clamp or two around where the hose attaches to the cane....that might be where the bubbles are coming from...if that connection isn't tight it will bubble like crazy.

I actually had to pump it several times to get it moving and of course used gravity too. It's pretty loose on the inside. Maybe I just got a dud.

It also looks like you could use a hose clamp or two around where the hose attaches to the cane....that might be where the bubbles are coming from...if that connection isn't tight it will bubble like crazy.

not my pic.

the hose connection is really tight.

Is the gasket plunger thingy attached to the racking cane? Maybe you got jipped. Anyway, if it doesn't work, go buy a new one....they normally work great.

You could always try the racking cane + carboy cap method. It seems like it would work just as well or better.

Normally, two full pumps should do the trick to get it working. Are you having trouble because the auto siphon is attached to a racking cane? If the racking cane's tip is attached the beer can't flow through unless the tip is pressed against a surface. If that's you're problem, try removing the tip, pump twice and be prepared to put the tip on quickly once the beer is flowing.

Make sure you put the larger tube down into the wort at least 6 inches. Draw up the racking cane above the liquid line. One pump should start it.

If the rubber grommet at the end of the cane is loose you will need a new inner tube. Or just the grommet if you can find one??

The inner tubes are available at Northern Brewer. If it is new, call the supplier. Maybe you can get a replacement.

My auto siphon is one of the best pieces of equipment that I own.

I wasn't using a racking cane.

I'll use the siphon a few more times before declaring it a dud.

Maybe the plunger part will expand after a few uses for a tighter fit.

Can we stop using that racial slur? They have enough trouble with being kicked out of every EU country they try to live in without us piling on over here.

Don't store the inner tube inside the larger one. The plunger rubber will get trained in too small of a diameter. Run that part under some hot water.

Good advice.

I had it stored inside the tube for about a month before I used it for the first time.

A ggod trick if it is a loose fit. Take a santized turkey baster ans squirt a little wort above the seal. If it want to leak it will help seal it.

I had one that had that problem and it solved it.

I also add liquid (starsan) between the two tubes when I have issues with the seal. It's fixed every problem so far.

Back