Temperature control help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregbankley

Reaction score
So my wort has been in its primary bucket for a week now, but the temperature has ranged from 60-70, it is at 70 now and I am trying to cool the room down. It mostly has been at 65 but has gone up and down...The beer is a california common with lager yeast. Any advice? Does this speed up the fermentation? Thanks!

Unless you are shooting for a steam beer, those are way too high of temps for lager yeast. The higher temps can also cause a quicker fermentation, however, at a week, your fermentation is probably done, or close to it, by now anyways. The airlock bubbling is not a sign of fermentation, you'll need to use your hydrometer for that. I doubt you can consistently keep lager temps with a swamp cooler, but you may want to look into that to keep yourself from wasting all kinds of electricity by changing the temp of the entire house. Also, if you have an extra fridge, take a look at my signature for a temperature controller build.

Thanks!. I am shooting for a steam beer. I thought 65 would be a good temp but it was really hot out today so it rose. My bucket is not in a tub of water or anything, it is just on the ground, is this ok? and do you think since it has been an inconsistent temperature that it may be ready to bottle? Would one week be normal for fermentation to be done on a beer like this?

That can depend on alot of factors. The only way to know for sure is to check with your hydrometer. If you don't have one (other than the suggestion of getting one), I would leave it in the primary for at least 3-4 weeks. However, fermentation is "usually" done by 7-10 days. Also, it's fine for it to not be in a swamp cooler, but high/inconsistent temps can cause some nasty off flavors.

Should I keep it at 70 or bring it back down to 65? Also, How long after fermentation is done do you keep it in the primary (without doing a secondary)

Back