How is 3.2% beer made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoXJ13

Reaction score
How do breweries make 3.2% beer (for supermarkets in Colorado for example) that tastes the same as real beer? I just learned that 3.2% is actually a measure of ABW not ABV, so it is actually closer to 4% ABV, not that far from real beer...

Guess my whole theory of drinking 3.2% while playing golf so as to stay relatively sober doesn't quite work out, still shot the best round of my life on sunday!

ColoradoXJ13 said:
How do breweries make 3.2% beer (for supermarkets in Colorado for example) that tastes the same as real beer? I just learned that 3.2% is actually a measure of ABW not ABV, so it is actually closer to 4% ABV, not that far from real beer...QUOTE]
R & D and alot of practice. It starts with a low SG "but you already knew that" I also have seen on HOW ITS MADE they did a program on beer and I picked up on the brewery they were highlighting (not sure what one) they did a 2 hour mash. I wonder why??
JJ

ColoradoXJ13 said:
How do breweries make 3.2% beer (for supermarkets in Colorado for example) that tastes the same as real beer?

i suppose that depends on exactly what you define as "real beer"? :D

i've read about monks that brew beer for drinking within the monastary that is 3% or so alcohol and is still malty and complex and tasty. diluting wouldn't really accomplish this. would be nice to find a recipe for a low abv but incredibly tasty beer.

there's also the idea of heating it i saw in another thread that would reduce alcohol content. can't find it right now...someone was trying to make an alcohol-free beer for a friend.

Just my $0.02 but...

The taste of beer being assoicated with the excess or deficiancy (or even the presence therof) of alcohol should not synonomous of whether it tastes like good or even defining itself of beer at all.

I think that in a blind taste environment, given a beer with a taste rating of 50 and multiple samples, one would enjoy and even desire more of that given beer.

If after several samples it was disclosed that it contained no alochol, would that change the tasters perception of whether it was good or not?

Rather, is it the feeling of alcohol as it interacts with your senses that tell the tale?

Just food for thought and discussion..

Latest posts

Back