Starer Size (1L) vs Flask Size (3L)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jybingbrew

Reaction score
I am looking to make a 1L starter, and have a 3L Erlenmeyer Flask that will be on a stir plate. The 1L mark is pretty low on this relative to total height -- is there going to be any issues with how much surface area there is in terms of it drying out too much over a few days?

Will it make it difficult to decant after cold crashing?

Don't want to have to get a smaller size flask if not needed -- I would think this ratio would work, but if anybody else has similar experience or thoughts on the matter - would love to hear them. Thanks!

It should be fine as far as evaporation. If you have some way to hold it at an angle while cold crashing, that would make decanting easier. Or, you could grow a bigger starter, then keep the extra yeast in a sterilized mason jar for your next batch.

I am looking to make a 1L starter.
It's not part of your question, but what is the volume you will be fermenting and what is the planned gravity? Just curious why you're making a 1 liter starter and not something larger. Low cell count in your starter yeast?

Mr Malty

Good questions/comments - was trying to keep it simple for the post, but I'm really trying to step up to a 3L starter at the end. I'm trying to start a bit of a yeast collection/supply. (My related post here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/question-creating-2nd-gen-yeast-supply-297405/).

I thought starting with 1L then stepping it up to 3L would result in more yeast propogation than just starting with 3L directly, right?

So I'm actually kinda doing what ipsiad suggested, and that's the reason for just asking about the 1L starter.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. It would be easier in a one liter flask, but if you cold crash, decanting should not be a problem. Best luck for a spectacular beer!

I use a 5L flask because that's the only one I have. No issues at all in doing a 1.5L starter and then stepping up after decanting. 5L is really big, have to adjust the shelves in the fridge if I want to decant.

sacm - great to know, thanks for sharing. If it works well for you with those measurements, mine should be equally easy.

Thanks for everybody chiming in.

Back