Beer Storage Boxes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_kirk

Reaction score
So two months ago I built some boxes to help me store my beer.

The crates hold 24 12 ounce bottles, but I also built them tall enough to hold bombers. The dividers also remove so I can insert dividers for 12 or 22 oz. bottles.

The raised bit on the lids fits inside the groove on the bottom of the box to help them stack more securely.

The handles on the side have a beveled edge to make them easier to pick up and carry around.

Tools used: table saw, router table, router (duh), and brad nailer. I think I'd go with staples next time, but I didn't have the right length stapler laying around.

1x stock for most of the box, 3/8 plywood for the bottom.

I'll try to post a cut list when I get more time, I know it would have helped me when I was looking at making these.

Beer Boxes 001.jpg

Beer Boxes 002.jpg

Beer Boxes 006.jpg

Beer Boxes 005.jpg

Very nice. Looking forward to the cut list. I was doing some doodles this weekend and ended up sketching something out that looks quite similar. Only difference is that I will probably make two heights - one for twelves and one for pints.

Did you use masonite for the dividers? Hard to tell, looking at the pictures on my phone.

Wow... VERY NICE! My crappy cardboard boxes are falling apart. Cut list would be greatly appreciated... Yet another project to add to the list! Haha. Cool!

Well, hell. Now I almost feel guilty for working at work today. :eek:
I'll see what I can get cobbled together for a cut list tonight.

So here's the cut list for the top, front/back and sides. The bottom (I think I mentioned) is a piece of 3/8" plywood. If you're smart, you'll rout the groove for the bottom piece between 1/4" and 3/8" deep (and 3/8" thick to fit the plywood), then just cut the plywood for the bottom 1/2" bigger than the top in each direction. (that's 16 1/8" X 10 7/8", but check my math to be sure, I've been drinking beer and don't seem to have any notes on that part) The groove for the bottom should be between 1/2" and 3/4" from the bottom of the box. That lets the crosspieces on the lid nestle inside the box on top of it.

PHP:
                (2)                        (2)
Sides             1 x 6                      1x8
                  cut to 13 1/4"             cut to 13 1/4"
                  Rip to 4 5/8"
                    (13 1/4 x 4 5/8)

(2)                        (2)
Front/ Back       1x8                        1x8
                  cut to 15 5/8"             cut to 15 5/8"
                  Rip to 6"

(1)                        (1)
Top               1x6                        1x6
                  cut to 15 5/8"             cut to 15 5/8"
                  rip to 4 7/8"

Also, this cut list doesn't include the two pieces on each side, or the pieces on the top. They're important because...
1) They hold the two pieces that make up a side or lid together
2) The top piece fits into the bottom of the box above it and keeps the boxes from sliding off of each other.

I'm missing some piece of information you need. Please ask and I will try to clarify. (Did I mention I'm drinking a really good IPA I made?) :drunk:

Thanks for the interest in my project. Happy building! :mug:

Did you use masonite for the dividers? Hard to tell, looking at the pictures on my phone.

I did. The dimensions aren't hard to figure out once you get the boxes built.

Measure each box on the inside and subtract a bit (?3/16"?) so the dividers are easy to remove. The dividers are cut half way at the point they cross. I had figured out where to cut, but I can't find my notes. Again. :drunk: I'll keep looking, because I know I wrote them down somewhere. Just measure your bottles and add a tiny bit. Not a big deal if your bottle is a little loose, but a big deal if the bottle won't fit.

Bumping this for the weekend, and to ask folks to post pictures if they make the boxes.

Also, I'd like to hear about your improvements to the design. I just slapped these together, but I could see someone with more patience and skill making boxes with nice joints and fancy hardware.

Kirk

Back