Clone Recipes: Hoegaarden and Celis White

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
Here ya go:

Hoegaarden:

4lb Belgian 2-row Pilsener malt
3lb Belgian Wheat malt
2lb flaked wheat
8oz Belgian aromatic malt
4oz flaked oats
1lb rice or oat hulls

Mash at 150F for 90 min

Boil:

1oz Kent Goldings @60 min

.5oz Kent Goldings @15 min
.25oz bitter orange peel @ 15min
3/4tsp crushed corriander seed @ 15min
1/8tsp crushed cumin seed @ 15min

.5oz Czech Saaz @ 2 min
.5oz bitter orange peel @ 2min
1/2tsp crushed corriander seed @ 2min
1/8tsp crushed cumin seed @ 2min

Yeast:

Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit
or
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier

Prime with 1 1/4cup extra light DME

Celis White:

4.5lb Belgian 2-row Pilsener malt
3lb US wheat malt
1.5lb flaked wheat
4oz Belgian aromatic malt
1lb rice or oat hulls

Mash at 149F for 90 min

Boil:

.75oz Wilamette @ 60 min

.5oz Wilamette @ 15 min
.75oz bitter orange peel @ 15 min
1tsp crushed corriander seed @ 15 min

.25oz Cascade @ 5 min

.5oz bitter orange peel @ 1 min
1tsp crushed corriander seed @ 1 min

Yeast:

Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit
or
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier

Prime with 1 1/4 cup extra lgith DME

Awesome, thanks Sam. If I get out to Hampton this fall (80% chance) it'd be great to hook up with you and dude for some sort of brewski extravaganza. If not brewing, then drinking ;). Was going to bring some HB out for my son, will just have to up the amounts... (not sure of limits :))

thanks again.

No sweat! Give us a heads up if/when you head this way! We'll get somethng together, for sure. It'd be great to meet you and your son. Hell, for all I know, I might already know your son. :D

Sam75 said:
No sweat! Give us a heads up if/when you head this way! We'll get somethng together, for sure. It'd be great to meet you and your son. Hell, for all I know, I might already know your son. :D

I PM'ed O earlier this year on this. Son is a newb in imagery analysis. Working graveyard or whatever you guys call it. Just got there in January after San Antonio (remember S.A.? :p ) and Tech School in San Angelo.

I tend to be spur of the moment and why I'm not sure if I'm making it out there yet... I got a wedding in CA then another wedding and a HS reunion up nort' der hey in WI (thats for dude) so still not sure if I'm making it out there yet. I gotta work sometime but do believe I got the time off...

Sam and/or others who've done Beligium Wits. Got the goods to do this Celis clone for this weekend. Local HBS guy asked if I needed the (forgot exact phrase) candy whatever. I said recipe didn't call for it; he was surprised. Any comments? I'm not familiar.

PS - Sam and dude. Booked my tickets, flying into Norfolk/Hampton Oct 8 - 16th. In case we can hookup sometime during my visit. Going to DC for 2-3 days as well but not sure yet what days during my stay. Got the wife and daughter with so I don't have 100% control of my time :eek:

desertBrew said:
PS - Sam and dude. Booked my tickets, flying into Norfolk/Hampton Oct 8 - 16th. In case we can hookup sometime during my visit. Going to DC for 2-3 days as well but not sure yet what days during my stay. Got the wife and daughter with so I don't have 100% control of my time :eek:

Shoot...I'll be gone OCT 8-10th for the Packer game. I'll ask for another day of leave once you finalize plans on what days you'll be in DC. We just gotta brew! I wish we could have gotten together to watch the Packers at my house! But oh well....now I'm even more determined to brew or at least have a few beers. We can give your wife and daughter directions to the outlet mall in Williamsburg and then we can all drink. :D Once this gets closer I'll PM you my cell # and we can set something up. Remind me.....
We should talk Sam into having a party at his place...his kegerator has 2 taps.... ;)

dude, you'll be in Greenbay for the Pack vs. Saints? I'm trying to get my cheesehead buddies to sell me some tickets. Nothing beats a Sunday at Lambeau! :cool:

dude said:
Shoot...I'll be gone OCT 8-10th for the Packer game.
:mad: :eek: :cool:

Ok, full range of emotions there. That would definitely be my preferred place to be! Where's the best Packer bar in the Hampton area for the game? Will do on the PM.

Born Brewing Co. said:
dude, you'll be in Greenbay for the Pack vs. Saints? I'm trying to get my cheesehead buddies to sell me some tickets. Nothing beats a Sunday at Lambeau! :cool:

Yeah dude....I am so pysched....1st row in section 104!!!! Lambeau Leap zone baby!!!!!!

desertBrew said:
Sam and/or others who've done Beligium Wits. Got the goods to do this Celis clone for this weekend. Local HBS guy asked if I needed the (forgot exact phrase) candy whatever. I said recipe didn't call for it; he was surprised. Any comments? I'm not familiar.

Candi sugar? Many Belgians use it, but I've never seen a wit recipe that called for it. Candi is normally used in the bigger beers to add alcohol while keeping the body lighter.

We'll definitely have to try and put something together for your visit!

Sam75 said:
Candi sugar? Many Belgians use it, but I've never seen a wit recipe that called for it. Candi is normally used in the bigger beers to add alcohol while keeping the body lighter.

Yep, that was it. Thanks for the info. Nice selection and price at my LHBS. The help might not be as knowledgable as should be though I guess.

I know this is an old thread, however, I'm interested in making the Hoegaarden and was wondering if anybody made it according to the original poster's recipe/instructions? If so, how'd it turn out? Was it close to the Hoegaarden?

Any info on the OG and FG?

thanks,
dave

Has anyone brewed this with and without the oats and/or rice? I can't seem to place the oat or rice contribution in a witbier. Seems out of place to me.

Has anyone brewed this with and without the oats and/or rice? I can't seem to place the oat or rice contribution in a witbier. Seems out of place to me.

I believe the small amount of oats is to add body and the rice hulls are to aid in sparging so you don't get a stuck sparge.

I'm very new to brewing, and fairly new to making wine, Hoegaarden is my third fav. beer in the world, to find this on here is awsome!!!!! Happy brewing everyone! :mug:

Amazing beer! I know it's an old thread but needs resurrected. I did the hoegaarden clone adjusted as follows:

6gal:
4.75 lbs pils
3.25 lbs wheat malt
2.75 lbs flaked wheat
.5 oz cascade @ 60
.5 oz cascade @ 5
.5 oz coriander (crushed) @ 15
.5 oz bitter orange peel @15
.25 oz sweet orange peel @ 15
1 tbsp yeast nutrient @ 15
1tbsp irish moss @ 15

60 Min mash @ 150F & 60 min boil.
2 packs wlp400 in a 2L starter 2 min oxygenation.
68F for 1.5 weeks force carbed @ 45psi&34F for ~24hours then down to 20psi&34F for another 24hrs
Perfect color beatuiful head retention.

This beer won't last long! :rockin: I need to make more!

I just racked mine to secondary.

The recipe listed is from beer captured.

Next time around Ill try forbidden fruit this time I went with witbier.

after 10 days in the primary, .1020

Used the Hoegaarden recipe on sunday, but was curious of this one should go into a secondary and how long i should let it ferment overall. I was thinking of doing 10 days primary and then another week in a secondary. too long? horribly too short? I'm still in the learning phase here. By the way, thanks for putting these recipes up!

None of the recipes seem right to me, I don't believe they are accurate to hoegaarden. Especially the cascade one..lol.

Back