Question about sugar on bottem on bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momodig

Reaction score
I was reading somewhere - can't remember where... but it suggested, when racking the beer to bottle, put about 1 tablespoon of sugar for carbonation (i know filling the bottles individually isn't the best way). I added about a cup of sugar to my beer before bottling (23L). Now looking at my bottled beer, there is much less then 1 tablespoon of sugar... I'd say maybe 1/2 table spoon. How much sugar actually dissappears? And will the east eventually eat that sugar at the the bottle of the bottle?

Thanks

Sounds like they're gonna blow up to me.Try putting them in a box.I only use 4 Oz of priming sugar for 5 gallon batch.

Sounds like they're gonna blow up to me.Try putting them in a box.I only use 4 Oz of priming sugar for 5 gallon batch.

A cup is not too much, standard is around 4-5 oz by weight. That's around a cup, or 8 oz by volume. So, the OP hit it on the mark. To the OP: That is most likely settled yeast on the bottom, when you add the sugar the suspended yeast populate a little again then settle out.

A cup is not too much, standard is around 4-5 oz by weight. That's around a cup, or 8 oz by volume. So, the OP hit it on the mark. To the OP: That is most likely settled yeast on the bottom, when you add the sugar the suspended yeast populate a little again then settle out.

So you use 8 Oz. for a 5 gallon batch?

No, you're comparing weight to volume which isn't accurate. By weight, I use 4 ounces or so for 5 gallons. But if you were to use a measuring cup, it would be in the neighborhood of 2/3-1 cup, depending on the grain size of the sugar.

That's why it's recommended to always weigh the sugar- 3/4 cup can vary quite a bit depending on the grain size, the humidity, the brand of sugar, etc.

He was pretty clear to me what he was saying but let's try this again.

1 cup is a measure of volume not weight. In terms of feathers 1 cup is less than a single ounce. in gold 1 cup is much more than 8 oz.

So no he does not use 8 oz of sugar, he said it is okay to use 1 cup, which equals between 5 and 6 oz of sugar.

And yes 1 cup is not too much of a volume of sugar for 23 liters of beer. It is actually just about right.

Certainly not enough to blow up bottles. and definitely not enough to spread Fear Uncertainty and Doubt to a new brewer that his bottles will blow.

Thanks for all the valuable info.

mr_clean... i'm pretty sure they're not gonna blow... they've been in the the bottle for a while, and when I crack one open, there isn't much pressure.

1 cup is a measure of volume not weight. In terms of feathers 1 cup is less than a single ounce. in gold 1 cup is much more than 8 oz.

I don't believe you. Please send a cup of each to me so that I may test this crazy theory of yours myself.

Back