Fawcett Pearl Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

santosvega

Reaction score
Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster here.
I'm currently in the middle of a bit of a SMaSH experiment wherein I'm brewing four identical brews using Optic, Halcyon, Pearl, and Golden Promise, with a touch of Fuggles and that's it. Nottingham yeast for all. Golden Promise is sort of the control group if you will, as I use it regularly.
Anyway, today saw my racking both the GP and Pearl versions to secondary, and as is my habit I had a little taste of both. The GP tasted clean and sweet as was expected. I didn't know quite what to expect from the Pearl, as there's not a great deal of info out there about it. Midwest describes it as having a 'dry and bready' character. Anyhow, upon tasting it I was struck by a light but distinct smoky character -- not overwhelming; say about the level of smoke you taste in Dewar's scotch. Not unpleasant but definitely not what I expected. Now, I should point out that these two brews were started within a day of each other with identical processes and identical OGs, but the Pearl seemed to ferment much more slowly and less vigorously.
So I guess my questions are:
1. Does anyone here have experience with Fawcett Pearl? Does it, indeed, impart a smoky undertone?
2. If it's not supposed to, are there fermentation issues that could account for this smokyness?

Thanks to all in advance

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster here.
I'm currently in the middle of a bit of a SMaSH experiment wherein I'm brewing four identical brews using Optic, Halcyon, Pearl, and Golden Promise, with a touch of Fuggles and that's it. Nottingham yeast for all. Golden Promise is sort of the control group if you will, as I use it regularly.
Anyway, today saw my racking both the GP and Pearl versions to secondary, and as is my habit I had a little taste of both. The GP tasted clean and sweet as was expected. I didn't know quite what to expect from the Pearl, as there's not a great deal of info out there about it. Midwest describes it as having a 'dry and bready' character. Anyhow, upon tasting it I was struck by a light but distinct smoky character -- not overwhelming; say about the level of smoke you taste in Dewar's scotch. Not unpleasant but definitely not what I expected. Now, I should point out that these two brews were started within a day of each other with identical processes and identical OGs, but the Pearl seemed to ferment much more slowly and less vigorously.
So I guess my questions are:
1. Does anyone here have experience with Fawcett Pearl? Does it, indeed, impart a smoky undertone?
2. If it's not supposed to, are there fermentation issues that could account for this smokyness?

Thanks to all in advance

Resurrecting this thread.

I'll definitely concur with the smokiness! I am drinking a pale ale I made with Fawcett Pearl from Midwest. I was so struck by the smokiness, I came here to search for others' feedback on this malt. It was VERY notice-able when bottled two weeks ago and this is the first taste since. In addition to the smoke smell/flavor there is also a bit of band aid/medicinal/phenol taste. Rather unpleasant actually. I have been brewing beer for many years and this was actually batch #80. I have never experienced anything like it before. The smokiness is so pronounced my SWMBO says enter it as a Pale Ale AND as a Rauchbier and see what the judges say. I know aging can mellow many young beer attributes, but if it stays as is I think I would rather the judges drink it than I :-( With so many other fine malts available, I don't think I will be trying this one again.

Cheers,
John

Back