Opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmugMug

Reaction score
My brother is coming into town in mid July and wants me to show him how to brew. I figure we'll do a couple of 1gal mini batches and he can take one with him. But, he lives almost 7 hours away. I've never transported anything fermenting that far or long. Is this safe? Will the beer make it that far in the trunk of the car? Anyone have experience transporting long distance?

Oh yeah....in case anyone was curious, I will NOT be using Notty. I don't want his trunk hatch to explode half way down I-65!

Unpitched in a 1 gal milk container filled to the top with no headspace would be my guess. Someone who knows will be along in a moment. ;)

We were going to use CR jugs. He's never done this before, so I wanted to show him what he needed to do when it came time to pitch the yeast. Maybe I'll tell him to drain an extra CR bottle at home and "splash" the wort into it and just sprinkle the dry yeast on top. I'll probably go ahead and pitch on one of my bottles to show him since I only have a 20min drive from where we'll be.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure to pitch just before he leaves, and have him remember to burp the jug once in a while to let out any possible CO2.

Or, he can pitch at home. Directions for rehydrating yeast are simple. Make sure to give him an airlock too.

And what's a CR jug?

I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure to pitch just before he leaves, and have him remember to burp the jug once in a while to let out any possible CO2.

Or, he can pitch at home. Directions for rehydrating yeast are simple. Make sure to give him an airlock too.

And what's a CR jug?

Carlo Rossi jug-o-wine. I've already told him what bungs and airlocks to buy. Hopefully, he can follow directions but if nothing else he can just sprinkle the dry yeast on top when he gets home. I didn't rehydrate the yeast on my last batch and everything turned out really well.

A couple of us brew together and we always just transport our carboys home and pitch there, he'll be fine.

Dry is fine, but I always rehydrate, for a couple of reasons:

1. It proofs the yeast and lets you know that it is healthy.
2. The manufacturers recommend it because it allows the cells to fill with water, not wort, which makes them healthier and ready to go at it.

Now I've heard that sometimes even good yeast does not bubble up, but it always has for me.

At any rate, I think he is GTG as long as he doesn't pitch on wort that is too hot. Not likely with a 7-hour drive.

Might consider doing a 5-gallon batch and giving each 2 1 gallon jugs. more beer that way, and just as easy to handle.

Back