Temp Controller Needs in FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyeGuy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've finally got a chest freezer for a fermentation chamber. Been looking at temp controllers on here and think I settled on the Johnson A19AAT-2C. My question is since this is only cooling, does anyone else in FL (I'm in Orlando) or hot weather areas find they need dual stage control to heat during the winter. Ferm chamber will be in the garage. Wondering if other FL guys have found if they need any heating capabilities at all for the month or so we actually get cold weather?

Hey guys,

I've finally got a chest freezer for a fermentation chamber. Been looking at temp controllers on here and think I settled on the Johnson A19AAT-2C. My question is since this is only cooling, does anyone else in FL (I'm in Orlando) or hot weather areas find they need dual stage control to heat during the winter. Ferm chamber will be in the garage. Wondering if other FL guys have found if they need any heating capabilities at all for the month or so we actually get cold weather?

Yes, I use a dual stage in my garage freezer. In the winter, the temps can get below 60 in there.

You could just not brew during that time... nah, that's not an option :D

It's fairly easy to re-wire the A19 to heat instead of cool. I used to do that. But the dual-stage is much easier.

Thanks for the help. Yeah I was thinking maybe lager during that. I think I may just go dual stage though now that I think of it. Thought I could get away without it but it doesn't sound so.

I have been brewing for a year and a half and have not needed to heat at all. It does sometimes get a bit cool in the winter, but the temp in my garage has stayed up pretty well. Freezer/Fermentation temps have held well.

If I ever find I need to heat, I plan to put a covered light bulb in the freezer to keep the ambient temp in there a bit higher. But I have not had to do that to date.

i am in Pensacola and i have never needed to warm up my fermentors. although before when i didnt have my ferm chamber i fermented in the house. guess im going to have to see what happens this winter. or should i just call it the cooler month not winter...haha

I'm in Boynton Beach, and I've never had to heat anything up. I find that the ferm chamber (if it's decently built) plus the heat from the fermentation itself will maintain a reasonable minimum temp pretty well. I don't think my garage itself ever got down below 60f all of last year.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I agree I probably don't need the heat but plan on testing it out during the winter to see. I like the fan in the heat outlet idea. I have an always hot outlet but don't want to run fans nonstop.

I decided to go with the stc 1000 as it was cheaper anyway plus I have heat capability if I need it. Testing it out now. Can't wait to get a beer in here this weekend.

image-2019908508.jpg

Latest posts

Back