Idiot....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dover157

Reaction score
Yes, yes I am. My first batch of "Brandon O's" graff has been fermenting for the sugested 14 days and I thought I would pull a sample to check gravity and see if it is ready to bottle this evening. Hoisted the bucket up on the counter, cleaned and sanitized all my eqipment and pulled a sample. S.G. 1.091.... according to my log the O.G. was 1.062, so the gravity went up? That cant be right, next step transfer sample to a clean mason jar and degas (shake the carp out of it) pour back into flask and get same result..... Pour sample back into jar and fill flask with water to see if hydrometer is broken...... guess what, tap water is 1.000. Log in here to look and see what the O.G. should be, seems to be right on track average seems to be 1.055 - 1.065 so I measured it right the first time. Decide no reason to waste the sample I pulled and will sit down and send it to a better place while trying to figure this out..... Hmmmmm does not taste like apples, malt or hops.... verry sweet bit tart mild alch bite....... notice its a verry dark brown almost stout color..... "click" <sloth from the Goonies voice on> "Wrong bucket stupid"<sloth voice off> Looks like I lugged the bucket of traditional mead up on the counter instead, really should label theese things. On a side note the mead is comming along nicely, started around 1.180 so is fermenting slow, but no off flavors lol. Got the right bucket up on the counter and "tada!" smells like beer, looks like apple juice, sample reads.................1.001! Lower than I was expecting but better than the last one, will be given a new home in bottles this evening and the other bucket will get a label on it. Man this hobby is stressfull.....

Ha! Sounds like the time I picked up the grain bill for a brown ale and IPA at the same time. I went to brew the brown ale but mixed it up and grabbed the grains for the IPA but used the brown ale hops. Then I brewed the IPA (or what I thought was the IPA) and used the brown ale hops. Lol. Both beers were interesting but drinkable. Good times...

Latest posts

Back