Is shipping beer legal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my understanding . . . there may be some differences between states . . . or shipping it across states.

That being said . . . I am pretty sure that it is legal to ship "LIve Yeast Samples." Just mark the box carefully with the label - "Live Yeast Samples." Should be ok.

Thanks Sonvolt. Although I'm not to sure how my mom would react if she received a package with "live yeast" written on it :eek: ...lol. You gotta love the "blue hairs".

It just seems like there would be some interstate shipping/commerce issue. But, now that I think about it, beer of the month clubs can ship so it must be ok...right? :confused:

"Yeast Samples for Analysis" is the standard labelling used for competitions.

It's a matter of taxes. No state wants to lose out on a single penny on anything that is sold, so shipping is tightly regulated. Beer of the month clubs are licensed distributors.

Utah can get ugly. They can nail you if someone sends you alcohol.

Very insightful links, thanks for the heads up. It appears that my dad needs some "yeast samples for evaluation" :cool:

Man, I hope my mom receives the package. To see her face when she has to sign for yeast samples would really be priceless!

Back