new to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean an actual pump to apply pressure to the beer, or a cobra tap to dispense the beer?

Can you describe your system a little more detailed?

You'll need a co2 tank, and I'd get the quick disconnects instead of the barbed fittings. It doesn't say that you get a hand pump, it says that you get a cobra tap and hose, which is what you want. (You don't want to pump air into the keg, you want a co2 tank). I'd buy some 10 foot "beer line" because I have a feeling they'll give you a supershort line for the cobra tap, and in order to actually pour a nice carbonated beer, you'll need a longer line.

Yooper is right.

The beer line they give you is 1/4" ID and 3 feet long...Get some 3/16" ID and 10 feet long.

i did get the quick disconnects, and it came with a 6 ft hose, will that be long enough? also what size co2 tank would you recommend?

i did get the quick disconnects, and it came with a 6 ft hose, will that be long enough? also what size co2 tank would you recommend?

A 5 pound c02 tank will probably be adequate for you. I have that size, and I run two kegs with force carbing, and I don't have to fill it more than about 3 or 4 times a year.

Are you sure the six foot hose isn't the gas line? That's how mine was.

the six ft hose is the gas line, and it did "say" it was supposed to come with instructions, but it didn't. so i need 10 ft hose that goes from the keg to the tap?

the hand pump keg will only work if you plan on kicking the keg in one evening. You are pumping unfiltered air and a bunch of nasties into your keg which will start to spoil the beer.

the six ft hose is the gas line, and it did "say" it was supposed to come with instructions, but it didn't. so i need 10 ft hose that goes from the keg to the tap?

You might be able to get by with 6 feet, but I'd get the longer line. You can always shorten it, but you can't make it longer!

So, could you tell us exactly WHAT parts you have and how many? That will help us visualize what you have and what you need? Thanks!

i have the tap with a 3ft line, a 6 ft gas line, a dual gauge regulator, and the keg itself.

Ok, you should be all set with just a co2 tank and longer beerline.

You also might want to check all the orings on the keg. With a used keg, they might be brittle and worn. I'd suggest buying an o-ring replacement kit (about $2.75) and go ahead and change them all, if the keg didn't come with new ones.

You got a good price- a regulator alone goes for $68 or so usually.

Back