Condo Smoking 101

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
As many of you know, I live in a small condo in the city. No deck, no yard, I have to be creative.

This is a companion to my All Grain Condo Brewing thread. It is also inspired by EdWort who always manages to make me hungry when reading his BBQ posts no matter how much I've eaten beforehand.

I love beer and I love BBQ. This will hopefully inspire other condo and apartment dwellers to not feel limited by their surroundings.

Here I give you Condo Smoking 101.

I use a Cameron Stove Top Smoker
Smoked Pork Butt 003.jpg
I start off with a 3 lb pork shoulder roast.
Smoked Pork Butt 001.jpg
Generously rub with Naked Spur Dry Rub
Smoked Pork Butt 002.jpg
For the pork, I'll use apple wood chips
Smoked Pork Butt 005.jpg
Place a small pile in the smoker
Smoked Pork Butt 004.jpg

Place the pork shoulder in the smoker
Smoked Pork Butt 006.jpg
Place on the stove. Med-Low heat
Smoked Pork Butt 007.jpg
5 hours later
111111.jpeg
Shred the pork
Smoked Pork Butt 013.jpg
Smother with Naked Spur Smoked Porter Beer-B-Q Sauce and it's ready to eat.
Smoked Pork Butt 015.jpg

WOW, that looks incredibly delicious. Although I was already a little hungry, now I really want to eat that! I will have to settle on some small snack though.

Thanks for sharing, I'm just wondering where you got the smoker from?

Originally posted by Dude
Spill it....what is the Naked Spur dry rub?

Here you go

Naked Spur BBQ Dry Rub

Ingredients:
1 ¼ cup - Packed Dark Brown Sugar
¼ cup Course Salt (Kosher or Sea)
½ cup Paprika
2 tbsp - Gebhardt Chili Powder
3 tbsp - Dried Parsley
2 tbsp - Dried Basil
2 tbsp - Dried Oregano
2 tbsp - Dried Thyme
2 tbsp - Dried Onion Flakes
1 ½ tbsp - Lemon Pepper
1 tbsp - Garlic Powder
1 tsp - Ground Allspice
1 tsp - Ground Cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir or whisk to mix. Transfer to a large jar, cover and store away from heat and light. The rub will keep for several months.

For your dedication to the art of condo smoking and brewing, I bestow upon thee, the honorable and prestigious Ring Of Meat Award!

dsc_2323.jpg

thats an awesome solution.....where did you vent the smoke tho?

I've been thinking about building a smoker, or converting a grill into a smoker....problem is I can't weld.

I have one of these smokers and they work really well (although I don't have a comparison to a full sized, outdoor smoker). Only wisps of smoke escape from the container and these are pulled into your exhaust. Makes the home smell good.

I think I am going to break this out this weekend.

I want one!!!!!!!!

Living in Kansas City I perfected my skills as a smoker, but since moving back to Michigan, and living in a downtown loft with no deck or greenspace I haven't been able to do anything to cure my jones for Hickory Smoked meats. Thanks for showing me this alternative.

So what's your recipe for "Naked Spur Smoked Porter Beer-B-Q Sauce?"

You are a god amongst men. I knew stovetop smokers existed, but I didn't know how well they worked. I'm gonna go check one out now. Thanks!

I love my mini Cameron too. I'd like to buy the bigger model soon so I can do larger cuts of meats, but even the small one still does some great stuff - alder smoked salmon, apple smoked chicken thighs and mesquite smoked burgers are some of our favorites. I'm definitely going to give that Smoked Porter BBQ Sauce a try - that sounds amazing!

Back