do it yourself malting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
can anyone point me in the right direction here? im looking into malting my own grain and im looking for a good resource that has information on how to do so. any help would be greaty appreciated.

thanks

subwyking said:
can anyone point me in the right direction here? im looking into malting my own grain and im looking for a good resource that has information on how to do so. any help would be greaty appreciated.

thanks

Not to flame you, but why would you wanna do this?

ORRELSE said:
Not to flame you, but why would you wanna do this?

no need to feel like your flaming. i want to do it for a few reasons, first being if i can do it myself, why pay to have someone else do it. im a hands on type of guy. second being junior enlisted in the AF with a 5 month old and a stay at home mom, money doesnt flow freely around here. malting my own grain could cut the cost of grain itself by 1/2.

El Pistolero said:
Somebody else here was doing that a couple of weeks ago...usmcruz was helping him out, too. Here's the thread.

yeah i read that post. i was looking for more specifics. also hoping that if usmcruz is lurking in the shadows, he would hold back his instinct to shove a hand grenade down my throat, and give me some pointers. :)

no need to feel like your flaming. i want to do it for a few reasons, first being if i can do it myself, why pay to have someone else do it. im a hands on type of guy. second being junior enlisted in the AF with a 5 month old and a stay at home mom, money doesnt flow freely around here. malting my own grain could cut the cost of grain itself by 1/2.

I did some about a month ago and did not feel like it was worth my time. The drying was inefficient for me and it took forever. I love to make my own beer but I am leaving the malting to the maltsters!!:tank:

There was a guy that had a couple of videos of his malting setup and process on youtube.

Try this...there's 2 or 3 videos.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, thats what people say to me when I tell them I brew my own beer! ;)

Ha Ha. I would like to point out the difference here. Unless it is done extremely well, almost perfectly, you will end up with an inferior product with your malt. The maltsters of the world (god bless them), have this process down! I concluded with my experiment that home malting would be worth it only if malts were not available to me, but they are and not too expensive if you buy a sack. Most husked barley that is available in quantity to the casual consumer is intended to be animal feed. It is of a lower grade than malting barley. Conversion will be inconsistent, and there will be more extraneous seeds and weed stems.

Malting you own barley has its value in understanding the process and discovering the wonder of beer, but there is little control of the product, you end up with the same thing in the best case. You might save some money, but if that is your motivation, I think you will find it is not worth your time.

Brewing your own beer however, (especially all grain), gives tremendous control over the final product almost infinite in its possibilities.

Good luck with your experiment subwyking, and your baby! :mug:

The malting turned out good. My first batch ended up with a pound of white wheat malt. I then made two pounds of red wheat and finally two more pounds of white wheat malt. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but that will be my next brew. It looks, smells, and tastes just like the commercial wheat malt I have on hand. I'll let you know how the beer turns out. If it turns out, which I'm sure it will, I'm going to ramp up to 25 pound batches with some improvised equipment.

Back