1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first ever home brewed beers!!!!

Stout and IPA

image-2523034586.jpg

hey cheesecake is it the one from here? i ordered some grains to do that as my first Biab. I hope i ordered enough stuff. Ill take any pointers on it you got. like water amount for a one gallon biab. such a newb, but that one sounded so tastey i want to try it.

I use a mash tun and i get crappy numbers out of my grain crush. But if you need some help i can convert it for you so the numbers are more realistic.

and yes its the one from the site

SWMBO asked me if I wanted to drive her to Black Friday today.

My response was not exactly in the affirmative.

I don't think it was the correct response.

Oh well, she'll live

Okay here is a question for the 1-gallon masses....what hops should I use for a couple of SMaSHs.

I have a new corona mill so I want to nail down my brew house efficiency and I thought some SMaSHs would be a great way to start. I've used Cascade for APAs and Blonde Ales. Fuggles and East Kent Goldings for Porters and Stouts and Hallertau for some Wheats. Now I'm looking to expand my horizons so what are some 'good' hops to try.

Thanks

^^^

Cascade gets my vote usually. But, if your looking to expand maybe try a Simcoe? A great bittering hop with a piney, citrus finish... Just be careful, sometimes the aroma is overpowering.

^^^

Cascade gets my vote usually. But, if your looking to expand maybe try a Simcoe? A great bittering hop with a piney, citrus finish... Just be careful, sometimes the aroma is overpowering.

Thanks. I probably wouldn't have picked that one myself but I'm going to try it.

When you say the aroma is overpowering do you recommend skipping a last 5 minute addition?

i Love centennial

you could try summit or try hops you normally wouldnt use or havent used to see if you can get them into some recipes you already have

i Love centennial

you could try summit or try hops you normally wouldnt use or havent used to see if you can get them into some recipes you already have

I was thinking about Centennial because I see it used in a few recipes on HBT. With these 1-gallon batches, I'm trying to think outside the box. I may just get a bunch of the 1 ounce pouches of hops from my LHBS and just start making a bunch of SMaSHs.

Side note: The SWMBO is out fighting the masses on Black Friday. I gave her a side mission: whenever she sees a bakery at the big box stores she needs to ask for any 2-gallon buckets with lids. IF she scores a bunch then my Christmas would be off to a good start. I did score a 2-G bucket with lid at my SuperTarget last weekend.:ban:

went to the lhbs on tuesday... as i walked in the kid at the counter said "hey, you're the 1 gallon batch guy" and proceeded to show me their new stash of 2 gallon fermentation buckets, with lids, and grommets in the lids.

so, they went right onto my Christmas list.

i forgot to ask how much they are charging.

went to the lhbs on tuesday... as i walked in the kid at the counter said "hey, you're the 1 gallon batch guy" and proceeded to show me their new stash of 2 gallon fermentation buckets, with lids, and grommets in the lids.

My LHBS charges $6.00 for bucket and lid for comparison.

Any one have a one gal recipe for something similar to abita purple haze,it's a raspberry beer. I've only brewed one batch so far with the Brooklyn brewshop IPA kit,came out really good! Thanks all in advance.

Okay here is a question for the 1-gallon masses....what hops should I use for a couple of SMaSHs.

I have a new corona mill so I want to nail down my brew house efficiency and I thought some SMaSHs would be a great way to start. I've used Cascade for APAs and Blonde Ales. Fuggles and East Kent Goldings for Porters and Stouts and Hallertau for some Wheats. Now I'm looking to expand my horizons so what are some 'good' hops to try.

Thanks

Funny you should post this. I was placing an order with Hops direct and read the description about their own hop, Belma.

The hop is $6 per pound. Was thinking about smashes with pilsner, vienna, mo and pale.

The description includes orange, grapefruit, tropical and melon.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/belma-type-90-hop-pellets/

dadshomebrewing said:

Assuming you bought some 1 liter bottles that kid was me. They are 5.99 for the bucket and 2.99 for the lid.

A bit creapy.... And that's not a terrible price. Are the lids drilled with a gromet already.

On another note I didn't boiloff what i planned last night and had a but extra so I threw it in a glass oberwies bottle and pitched some lager yeast in it. We will see how that turns out

it's not creepy to me that he remembers me if I'm the only one gallon brewer that comes in the store each month. it's a small world. i don't mind.

what's curious is that they are stocking 2 gallon buckets when I'm the only one gallon brewer that comes in the store each month. who else, beside small batch brewers, would use a 2 gallon bucket?

ok... i've never made any fruit wine... i actually think it's funny. we could make the wife crazy if he has my list before she gets there.

and i could score big time, right up to the point where she figures it out.

Would any of you guys be interested in doing a group brew in? everyone agrees on a recipe and we can all meet up brew it and split it?

Anyone interested, I'm brewing a five liter (1.33 gal) batch of a cream ale/light hybrid/BMC clone tomorrow. Going to take tons of photos as I'm starting up a blog for our type of people.

Going to be 2 LBs of Pale Malt and 0.5 LBs of corn in 65% efficiency batch and Horizon hops at 60 minutes to reach 20 IBUs. The goal being a clean flavorless bitterness to offset corn sweetness. mashing bonedry.

Funny about the store run in!

Back