BIAB with Heatstick...is this possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGrouch

Reaction score
I am moving from extract to BIAB AG and will likely do my first couple batches outside on the propane burner. Once the temps drop, I'd like to move inside but my stove is utterly useless. I would like to brew in the house for comfort/convenience, but I can't imagine BIAB with heatsticks working. But...you're a creative bunch, so I thought I should ask.

When I was doing BIAB; I would use the heat stick to get to strike temp, dough in, then wrap the kettle with an old sleeping bag. Only lose a couple degress during a 60 minute mash. Never needed to add heat during the mash.

When I was doing BIAB; I would use the heat stick to get to strike temp, dough in, then wrap the kettle with an old sleeping bag. Only lose a couple degress during a 60 minute mash. Never needed to add heat during the mash.

That's a good idea...

Keep the grains and bag out of the pot, heat the water using the heat stick (I would go a degree or two past normal stike temp) and then submerge the grain bag and stir until you come down to mash temp. Wrap the kettle in a blanket and let 'er sit. If you are doing full volume BiaB, just remove the grain bag at the end of the mash and squeeze, The other option is to sparge. You won't be able to mash out for obvious reasons but that is not a huge factor. Just get the boil going ASAP.

As long as you don't plan on doing step mashes (and there usually isn't much of a need to do this), this should work just fine.

John

Latest posts

Back