Burner FAIL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajabrewer7

Reaction score
Well I finally got my manifold setup and the burners connected, tested all 3 of them without the kegs and they worked fine. Problem started when I tested one with the keg on top, the burner started shooting flames out of the oxygen intake and well, it just didn't work.. I had to raise the kegs using cement blocks for it to work correctly as you can see in the pictures.. what did I do wrong?
Should I build a little platform for the kegs to sit in leaving a space between the stand and them? :confused:

here are the pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/Xzrg3#3A5Nx (click here for the whole album)

AsV88.jpg

How does the flame look?

Thanks!!

a couple things, first drop the regulator pressure, then close the air shutters a bit until the flame tips turn yellow. With the classic Brutus design there is no where for the flame to go unless about 4" of the bottom skirt is cut off, or 1/2"-3/4" spacers are paced on the frame to let flame out. If you put more flame under the keg you do not always get more heating, just useless flames up the sides. The optimum is where the flame tips just touch the keg bottom, if the light blue area just off the burner touches, then the flame produces lots of CO and soot.
If the flame lifts off the burner the pressure is too high and or the air shutter is opened too much, and you are probably having difficulty lighting them and they are noisy, not quiet like they should be when adjusted correctly.

Points taken! I'll have spacers soldered, and play around with the pressure and the air shutters.. I'm VERY new to all of this, and will learn the hard way (and judging by my burnt eyelashes, VERY hard way) haha, thanks!

Back