Bayou classic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
Well Im finally getting around to firing up this Bayou Classic. Well it wasn't like I was expecting. Instead of a jet looking flames...most of the flames are finding their way up the outside of the kettle, not putting much heat to the bottom at all.

It's taking forever to boil. No biggie....this is just a dry run for tomorrow. But just curious, cause this burner isnt anything like Ive heard. So..... what have I done wrong?

If this is the burner your speaking of, This burner is almost silent and it DELIVERS when you go to boil it delivers the maximum btu's to the bottom of the keggle right where it's needed you'll find it's quiet and fairly fast.:mug:

Dude: you have to adjust the airflow and the gasflow until you get the most efficient flame. It should be a short blue flame with very little yellow or orange in it. It will be relatively quiet and will get you up to a boil rather quickly.

yea I messed with air/gas mixture, knob at tank, check for leaks.....this is not working at all. Not single blue flame.

Im way off on troubleshooting. Nothing I do changes the flame.

There was nothing I add in the box. It was already assembled

So you are not getting a flame like this one?
1332-P1010013.JPG

Something is not flowing right either gas or air. It might be worth taking it all apart to make sure it's not plugged up somewhere along the line. Have you changed out the gas bottle to make sure it's not bad?

yea put a brand new bottle on it. I guess taking it apart is my next course of action.

If the flames are yellow then there is not enough air getting through to mix with the gas. You'll also end up with soot and of more concern if you are not well ventilated you'll get excessive CO from it.

I actually had to drill an extra 1/2" hole in the round air regulator plate. It worked much better after I did. Also, this burner requires a 30psi hi pressure gas regulator.

If this is a new propane burnerI'd call Bayou Classic at 1-800-863-6194 Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm CST. I'd do this before I drilled any holes etc. I'll bet you they will send you a new burner. If you didn't get it new I'd still call them.

Since propane tanks switched to the new “safer” valve a few years back, I have gotten two that didn’t flow right. A just filled tank would only allow a small flame in my grill. Closing and reopen the valve a number of times usually fixed the flow. I also tapped on the valve a few times, but not sure if that did anything to help.

Did you replace the gas inlet fitting on the burner, or have you checked to make sure that the orifice is still in the end of the gas inlet fitting that came with the burner. What you describe sounds like the orifice is missing and to much gas is pouring into the burner, large yellow flames at low valve settings.

I have 1 of these the first time I used it the same thing happened. I called the 1-800 # the guy told me it had to do with safty valves to diconnect for 15 mins reattach and turn the valve to propane tank on real slow and not all the way on. Then turn on valve to burner slow, light and adjust from there but to open valves slow. Did this last time I brewed and worked pretty good. Problem I had wind picked up and I had a real prblem keping it adjusted.

Back