Hyundai Tucson, Ford Escape, or Honda CR-V?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
My wife and I are considering "acting our age" and turning in her 2-seater for an SUV. Wondering what we should be looking at.

We've narrowed our choices down to the above three. Any input as to which one is best? Any alternate suggestions?

Screw the three of them, go with the Scooty Puff Sr from your avatar!

Seriously though, I don't know much about the Tucson, but every Hyundai owner I've known has been very thankful for their warranty, because they've needed it frequently. My mom had a CR-V for a while, and she was pretty happy with it. Very very low maintenance.

Unless you are a commie, go with the Ford.

flag_american.gif

My parents had a Tuscon. The mile after the warranty was over the car pretty much fell apart. Definitely ruined my opinion of Hyndai.

Well it would be helpful to know which criteria helped you to narrow it down to these three so we can suggest the car that does what you want, the best.

My wife picked up a 98 CR-V back in 2007. It's got about 100K miles right now, and with regular maintenance, it's still going strong. The only drawback is that it has absolutely no balls. If you have to accelerate quickly or go up any steep inclines, the CR-V sucks. That being said, I've been driving it all winter (while the Mustang sits in the garage), and I haven't had a problem.

We just bought a 2004 Escape XLT last weekend after some heavy researching. This was shocking to my family and friends because I was pretty anti-Detroit. But what I've read lead me to believe they were really reliable (2004's and up at least. 02-03 had some problems). And every owner I talked to absolutely loved them.

I wanted a v6 and 4wd. 4wd is necessary in wisconsin. I wanted a v6 because I'll occasionally be towing some small stuff. With a Rav4 you couldn't get a v6 until 2006, which was a bit outside our price range. CR-V's never had a 6.

Rav4's and CRV's are nice for sure, but they are a bit more expensive (from my own data collection of 6 months of looking) than a 4wd v6 Escape. Quite a bit more expensive than a 2wd I4 Escape.

I usually don't like driving trucks, especially automatic. I mean, I come from a bmw 328i and a ducati 749. But after a week of owning this car, I love it. It drives really well, steering is tight, visibility is excellent. Brakes are really progressive and smooth, suspension is good. It has plenty of room for two carseats, and the trunk is huge. I'm am worried about reliability (can't shanke my anti-detroit feelings), but my research suggests it's a good car. And it's not owned by obama.

I currently work for Kia, Hyundai is the same basic product. the warr. makes the hyundai/kia a good deal-IF-you maintain the car, they go downhill fast if not. I make 50 to 80hours/week on warranty repairs alone. for this reason alone I suggest the non hyundai. I have a 160k mile honda with no problems, I also have a 60k highlander that we love! no problems at all there too!

Well it would be helpful to know which criteria helped you to narrow it down to these three so we can suggest the car that does what you want, the best.

Something reliable, something that's not necessarily going to break the bank, something that we can use comfortably for long road trips (the Civic and Sebring are terrible in that regard), and something with decent cargo space.

And we really like the Ford Escape that we've been driving since Wednesday (my car's in the body shop for repairs).

Answer: None of the above, but partial credit for the Escape. Got a 2010 Mercury Mariner Premier V6.

Great car so far. Too bad my wife drives it almost to exclusion :)

Have to echo the posts that pointed out the Rav4. A V6 4WD Rav4 will make you very happy. Just watch the stock tires; they're good with snow but not so good on ice.

Back